Normanton to Weipa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Weipa
July 10th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We took photos by “Krys” the 8.63m crocodile replica in Normanton. The biggest ever shot in the area. We left Normanton and drove to Karumbu for a look. Only a fishing town. I got a hat pin and we all had a look around. On the way to Mitchell River, which is our camping spot for the night, we saw some branding. That was at Dunbar Station. There were a fair amount of men working. Some are to keep the cows moving, some were branding and some were working the crush. We went through a gate to get to our camping spot. There was a sign on the gate that said “Cross River at own Risk, $500 Tow Fee”. So if you got stuck it was $500 to be towed out.

On the way to Hann River Roadhouse, Mum hit a kangaroo, which we called “Skippy” on the Burke Development Road. We went back because Mum wanted to make sure it was dead and not injured. Dad said if it wasn’t dead he would get the hammer out to put it out of its misery. Mum didn’t want to drive any longer. Not long down the road, Dad nearly hit a kangaroo as well, because he didn’t hesitate to move the car. He started singing the theme song from the TV series Skippy, to make Mum agro. Kate and I joined in with him. The song went, “Skippy, Skippy, Skippy the bush kangaroo”. That night we stayed at Hann River Roadhouse. Next morning we drove to Weipa.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb