A little rain never hurt anyone...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
January 13th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Little Bit of Rain 17 secs
2: Cars fighting against the road/river 10 secs
Broken Tree LimbBroken Tree LimbBroken Tree Limb

this tree is across the street from JP's house
The last couple days here in Townsville have been rainy to say the least. We've had a few branches broken of the trees in the yard and the roads around Townsville all but turn into rivers when the rain is at it's heaviest. We've been luckier then Cairns which is severly flooded. We've been told the worst is over but today is still really windy and rainy. At least it has been cool for a few days. I've added an article from the Townsville newspaper for you all to read. I'll try and add a picture and video to if I can.


Wild weather lashes Townsville

JESSICA JOHNSTON

January 13th, 2009

BOATS were torn from their moorings, stinger nets were damaged and ferries cancelled as wild weather lashed Townsville yesterday.

King tides, rain and gusty wind combined to create chaos on Townsville roads and at sea.

Sunferries was forced to cancel five trips between Townsville and Magnetic Island due to treacherous conditions on Cleveland Bay.

Sunferries general manager Darin McDonald said services would also be restricted today and warned passengers to expect delays.

"Basically, we were just looking at safety, to minimise the risk to passengers, crews and the vessels," Mr McDonald said.

"It was very lumpy with the outgoing tide late this morning, as soon as we came out of the harbour it was very rough.

"When we have conditions like that it is difficult to get into Nelly Bay safely, you actually have to speed up coming through the rock walls."

Island ferry passengers endured a rough and darkened trip on the last boat last night with about 20 people
seasick in the torrid conditions.

Meanwhile, Townsville water police risked life and limb to reach a vessel that had drifted off its moorings in wild weather.

Senior Constable Peter Ross said the old fishing vessel had drifted toward the end of Pallarenda beach before police reached it yesterday morning.

"We are not impressed at all - there were pretty dangerous winds, the seas were high," Sen-Constable Ross said.

"The old fishing vessel had pulled its anchor and ended up down the end near Pallarenda.

"Whether there was not enough chain - it was just an accident waiting to happen."

Sen-Constable Ross advised boaties to double-check their vessels were secured with adequate chain, and in a protected area.

Police were trying to locate the boat's owner yesterday afternoon.

The Rockpool was drained yesterday morning after it overflowed and inundated lifesavers' storage sheds.

Surf Life Saving Queensland regional manager Peter Roulston said Strand beaches would be closed to swimmers until further notice after both stinger nets suffered during the storm.

The large stinger net at the Picnic Bay end of The Strand pulled an anchor and came adrift, while water splashed over the pontoon on the other one, making it unsafe to swim.

"Lifesavers need to do drags inside the nets to ensure it is safe, but they can't do that with high winds and rain around," Mr Roulston said.

Police liaison officers had a busy day ensuring the welfare of indigenous park dwellers.

A Townsville Police spokeswoman said PLOs had visited popular parks and informed residents of safe places at which they could shelter from the rain.

Meanwhile, roads turned to rivers, causing a number of motorists to come to grief.

One person was injured when four cars collided on Riverway Drive about 5pm.

Police were called to conduct traffic control following the crash.

Earlier, a driver escaped unharmed after crashing their car on Bamford Lane about 1pm.

Drivers also escaped unharmed after minor crashes in North Ward and Stuart.

Motorists were urged to exercise caution after traffic lights failed at a number of intersections, including the busy
junction of University and Stuart drives.

Police said Blakey's Crossing at Ingham Rd and Shaw Rd at the Bohle were inundated last night and urged drivers to adhere to road closure signs.

Water was also affecting Mervyn Crossman Drive and Herveys Range Rd at Alice River.


Advertisement



14th January 2009

It's Freezing in Canada
Hi Laura. Rain Rain Go Away It's good to hear you are okay. I saw your Mom on Sunday. She is really excited about her trip to "down under". Not much else happening. We are having really nice weather too. MINUS 20 and thats not including the wind chill factor. Lots of snow. Every second day I think we have had a snow storm. Okay. thats all for now I have to go shovel again. Take care and stay out of the puddles. Luv Aunt Diane.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb