Day 11 - Thursday and Friday Islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Thursday Island
June 25th 2021
Published: June 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunny and Humid

Breakfast at 6:45 and departed at 7:15 for our trip to Thursday Island. Our bags are going to Cairns on the bus. The ferry across was very comfortable. We were met at the ferry terminal for a tour of the island. We first stopped at the cemetery to see memorials to the creator of the Thursday Island flag and also the Japanese of the island.

We then visited Green Hill Fort which was built like Fort Denison in Sydney, to repel a Russian invasion. There was a very interesting museum of objects including furniture from the time of the building of the fort.

We went to our hotel to wait for checkin. The rooms were clean bu a bit tired. Aircon worked well so all good. We decided on a quick walk around town to see the local churches ( one has been set up as a Cover 19 vaccination clinic) and took a walk up the Main Street. Back to the hotel for a delicious lunch. We then walked towards the jetty to the Cultural Centre before catching the boat to see the Kenzu pearl farm on Friday Island. We caught a ferry over and met the the Japanese owner who gave us a demonstration of the seeding process and an explanation of the history of his operation. We were given a snack of sago with mango jelly, which was delicious. We then visited the showroom where I purchased a pearl shell pendant , in the shape of a frangipani and three pearl shell hair ties.

Back to the hotel for a rest before dinner. The owner surprised us with a drink of choice from the bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb