1770 and all that


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Tannum Sands
July 23rd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Fountain in main street, BundabergFountain in main street, BundabergFountain in main street, Bundaberg

I think the aluminium is meant to represent palm trees
We enjoyed our time in Bundaberg - it's a big, spread out city with very nice substantial Victorian buildings in it's main street. We drove out to the beach to Elliott Heads, where the river runs into the sea. This time there were a lot of rocks visible, no doubt as a result of the heavy rain they had this year and fast running rivers washing away a lot of the lovely white sand. Still, we've seen it happen to other beaches over the years and the sand does come back and make it beautiful again.

The soil around Bundaberg looks very rich and volcanic and a lot is grown there - sugar cane, tomatos, avacados, sweet potato, corn, strawberries, etc. It's popular with backpackers who make extra money picking, we saw a lot of activity picking strawberries. The little cane trains are busy pulling cut cane and we enjoy stopping to buy at little stalls outside farms.

From Bundaberg we headed to the town of 1770 - we were told it was very busy this year, impossible to get into the caravan park at $48 a night. When we stayed there was trouble getting enough water, due no doubt to the drought, but that is an excessive charge. I did my usual ordering of a cossie at Agnes Waters, it will be ready when we come through on our way south. Agnes Waters seems to have more buildings each time we come .. these little towns have been discovered. We didn't go on the beach this time due to a cool wind.

And so on to Tannum Sands, south of Gladstone. It's good to see the country looking so good, dams full, long grass in paddocks and rivers flowing, after their years of drought. We're still after warmer weather, it's around 22C with a cool breeze, not swimming weather yet, but we're not complaining after our cold winter south! Tonight we'll be at Yeppoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb