Love the Smell of Molasses in the Afternoon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sarina
July 26th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Yeppoon - the caravan parkYeppoon - the caravan parkYeppoon - the caravan park

Our view this time of the pool
We are in the sugar town of Sarina. The little cane train toots as it goes through the road crossing, the mill's chimney is smokin' and there's the smell of molasses in the air. I love these little sugar towns, though we notice they've grown somewhat more each time we visit.

We had two nights in Yeppoon. Saturday night the park managers put on a sausage sizzle with a bush poet for entertainment. We all brought our chairs to sit in a semi circle and be entertained and chat to other happy campers - the cost? A gold coin which goes to charity. The weather in Yeppoon was cloudy and cool with rain in the evening but we had a couple of nice drives and a look around town and surrounds. Like everywhere this trip, the caravan park was choc a block, we were actually parked in their open air theatre area.

Today we drove from Yeppoon - quite a long drive through cattle country but good to see water in the rivers and the grass long. Being a rather dreary trip, the roads people have tried to make it more interesting with signs suggesting we play trivia, starting
Yeppoon - bouncy pillowYeppoon - bouncy pillowYeppoon - bouncy pillow

we were right next to this - I had fun on it
the ball rolling with a sign .. 'what's Queensland's state flower?' and the answer about a kilometre on 'the Cooktown orchid'. We did as requested and played a bit of trivia ourselves .. name the different types of cattle, but could only guess eight - city folk - and then types of dogs, we got to about 23. Another set of signs along the way .. 'how long to go, Dad?', then further on 'how long to go, Mum?' and still further 'Still a long way to go, kids!' It did seem a long way! And the traffic! Caravans and motor homes travelling north and south .. go home people!

We did a food shop before setting up in the caravan park and now we're going to relax and sit outside. It's much warmer, if still cloudy, but no rain.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Main street, SarinaMain street, Sarina
Main street, Sarina

I was facing the wrong way, light-wise, it's not really this dark!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb