Sunny Bundy


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
July 21st 2010
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It’s a nice drive north from Noosa, part of which is through the lovely green Mary valley, now spared from being dammed in the future. We had a quick look at Gympie and Maryborough, both have interesting Queenslander houses, Maryborough has some rather grand Victoria buildings in town. July is the Mary Poppins Festival, PJ Travers who wrote the books, came from Maryborough.

We decided we’d stay the night in Hervey Bay so drove along the waterfront till we found a caravan park with a vacancy, and ended up at Scarness caravan park, fairly busy at this time of year. I spoke to a lady who had a beachfront site - she was from Tasmania and said it had taken her seven years to get that site, like many other southerners, they are there for three months.

We had a walk along the beach, rather than shells the sand is littered with small pieces of broken off coral so I filled my pockets. There are whale watch tours from here but the majority of the whales are still coming up the coast - just one or two sighted daily so we'll leave our tour for a few weeks.

This morning we drove around Hervey Bay, after another coral-collecting walk. There are a couple of good craft shops I always call into, one, a patchwork shop, had fabulous fabric, making me almost wish I still sewed. Still, good to see what's to be had if the mood takes me.

Our stop after Hervey Bay was the dear little town of Burrum Heads, a favourite of ours. We weren't intending to stay but had a look around .. the fellow who used to manage it now manages the Hervey Bay caravan park and he told us Burrum Heads had 'gorn'. We were expecting tall buildings and touristy things but, apart from the little food shop now being a slightly bigger supermarket, it's still the same. We had lunch by the river, hoping when we're on our way home some of the people will have gone and we can get on a good site there.

Once we got to Bundaberg we did a food shop at the shopping centre not far from here - I was surprised to see the shops still had winter clothes, as did the locals. Shades of Broome and the Northern Territory last winter. Once we'd set up the motor home, we put on the washing and soon I'll be relaxing outside, it doesn't take much to make me happy!

Today it's four years since we bought the motor home and this is our 20th trip away in it. It's also a week since we left home and we've done about 1400 kilometres. Tomorrow we'll spend time around all the places we like here, probably go out to Elliott Heads, and have another night here before moving on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hervey BayHervey Bay
Hervey Bay

Looking towards Fraser Island. Not shells but pieces of coral on the waterline and on the sand.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb