Happy New Year!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
December 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent the next few days down near the beach having good food and wine.

It was really surprising to see such mental weather from the beach. I was amazed because I always have the vision of white sandy beaches and gorgeous sunny weather, not the case in Surfers!

We managed to choose the hottest and driest day to visit Movieworld, another theme park with lots of rides and shows, much like Dreamworld. On our way home one day, we drove up the coast and as we drove past the entrance to surfers, we noticed that the there was a news van and a news reader on the beach. Me being me and Ricky being Ricky, we dived out of the car and down to beach where we proceeded to walk past the news reader in the hope of being filmed and appearing on Channel 9 5 o’clock news!! It was hilarious. We were jumping around like a couple of teenagers on holiday without parents (Oh wait, we were on holiday without parents!!). I think we may have found a new challenge for each time we see the news van pull up in Melbourne!

By the time Hogmanay
Superman!Superman!Superman!

This ride was great!
came round, the weather was so bad that the firework displays all along the Gold Coast had been cancelled. It wasn’t until about 6pm that night we realised that we would be struggling to find a nice restaurant to have dinner as obviously everyone else had already worked out that it would be a night for a long drawn out dinner and then bed!


We took a drive round Southport hoping that we could get somewhere that we could walk to from the apartment to avoid being stuck in the rain waiting on a taxi all night. Ricky literally ran into about 6 restaurants that all told him they were all fully booked. I could see us sitting in the apartment with the howling wind and a takeaway - great New Year on the beach, erh?

To our delight, we found someone who felt so sorry for us that he booked us a table although Ricky informed me that we would be “sharing” a table with some others. Hhmm. I wondered, but I was just relieved that we actually had somewhere to eat for the night.

We made our way back to the apartment to get
White Water RapidsWhite Water RapidsWhite Water Rapids

It wouldn't be a theme park if you don't have the rapids!!
changed and walked to the restaurant between rain pours. To my surprise, Ricky had managed to get us on a teppenyaki table! For those not familiar with the concept, it’s basically a big hot plate where about 5 or 6 people sit round and a chef cooks your Japanese food to order, with lots of catching of raw eggs and various other stuff thrown in for entertainment value. The food was fantastic and it was genuinely a unique way to spend Hogmanay - loads of fun!!

After dinner we headed round the corner to a hotel that looked really lively earlier when we drove past. It was just the ticket. There was a live band, a countdown to bells and plenty of people. We got a few cocktails and not before long we were chatting to crowd who were New Zealanders and one of their friends were Scottish. He is the guy with the dreads in the photos and he was from Kirkcudbright. They were an amazing bunch and were had a fun night. I did manage to call home, although I don’t think my Mum appreciated the drunken phonecall at 2 in the afternoon (3am Oz). I did
Police AcademyPolice AcademyPolice Academy

Hilarious!
remember one thing that was said in the 30 mins that I spoke to her and that was that she poured herself a wine. No wonder.....crazy, drunk daughter phones home mid afternoon for a long, nonsensical chat. Wouldn’t you open a bottle of wine? Thanks Mum!!

Next day it was back to Melbourne - a great Christmas and New Year, and loads of great memories.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Claire on the News!!Claire on the News!!
Claire on the News!!

Kidding on I was reporting on the weather
I was on the News!!I was on the News!!
I was on the News!!

It was funny..
Ricky on the News!!Ricky on the News!!
Ricky on the News!!

You would have done it too!!
This is Ricky from the Channel 9 NewsroomThis is Ricky from the Channel 9 Newsroom
This is Ricky from the Channel 9 Newsroom

The weather here in Surfers has been shocking!!
Wild?Wild?
Wild?

And believe it or not the lifeguard actually had to tell people to get out of the water!
Me and RickyMe and Ricky
Me and Ricky

It was scorching that day, we both got sunburned
Our ChefOur Chef
Our Chef

After buying him a beer he confessed that he was actually a rally car driver and had been working in his girlfriends Dad's restuarant for only 6 weeks for extra cash!


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb