Cuddling Kangas, Koalas, and Crocs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast
May 18th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My life has been pretty boring here lately, sorry to say it. I’ve been bogged down with assignments, and I have recently acquired a cold. Good times 😊 However, I did get a chance at some fun this past weekend when I went to the Australia Zoo on Sunday with Ashley, Katie, Rachel, and Neils (all Cobbers).

We left Uni around 10 and didn’t get home till 5 or so, so it was a VERY long day. We hopped on a bus that took us the 30 minutes there, which wasn’t so bad. It was a very cloudy day—actually a bit chilly—which was perfect for walking around the huge zoo. We started with the Crocoseum, something that Steve Irwin built especially for his crocs.

Steve Irwin, if you didn’t know, died, but his zoo and his family continue to be a legacy in Australia. His daughter and son do several commercials, and Bindi (aforementioned daughter) has her own clothing line and show. Anyway, his zoo is so awesome and you could just tell that the family really cares about the animals there. There were tons of crocs, birds, some tigers, plenty of koalas and kangas, and of course some elephants.

I pet a very cute snuggled up little koala as he slept in a tree—they are so adorable! I also pet a million kangaroos. They were so cute 😊 I also got to feed an elephant! It was sick—the trunk slobbered all over my hand and left it smelling like poop. Seriously gross. But when else will I ever be able to do that?!

The zoo was definitely worth it.

Other than that, last week we finally had our “Welcome BBQ” and UniCentral that was supposed to happen ages ago but didn’t happen until this past week because of the weather. There was good food and a DJ, and I danced for a good three hours. It was so much fun!

Then I spent a good part of the weekend doing homework, and that’s how I’ll be spending the next few days too. I have two assessments due next week, two the weeks after, a week of study break, then finals on the 15th and 16th…then guess what…?! Katie, Rachel, Ashley, and I switched our flights so I’ll be home on the 18th!

I can’t believe I am one short month away from being home. I am so excited to get back to my family, friends, and boyfriend, but I am going to miss Australia so much! The sunsets, the weather, the beach, the pools, the shopping, even the food! I don’t even want to think about it right now. So, I’m not going to 😊 I’ll write about that sad event when it gets closer to it.

By the way, it DOES get cold in Australia. Hard to imagine, right? I sleep with more than a few layers on because I don't want to buy yet another blanket here that I'd have to leave behind...but really, it gets almost as cold as it does in Minnesota at night.

Anyway, I wear jeans most of the time now, as well as socks and a sweatshirt. Who would have thought?

See yous soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Cute lil' koalaCute lil' koala
Cute lil' koala

jus' sleepin' in a tree :)
Tasmanian DevilTasmanian Devil
Tasmanian Devil

doesn't exactly look like he does in the cartoons, hey?


18th May 2010

Foot in a Croc!
I take it that was a stuffed Croc that you put your leg into! What a neat zoo. I have never fed an elephant, seen a kangaroo, koala, dingo or tazmanian devil..aren't you glad that you can come back to your own tasmanian devil = Corona.
21st May 2010

I'm super excited your coming home early! btw I can't believe your tan. That won't ever happen again! lol :P lylas. see you soon!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb