Swimming in Winter


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast
August 17th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Weekend Away at the Sunshine Coast



Installment #2



Dicky Beach Family Holiday Park were nice enough to let us in more than 2 hours before our check in time. This enabled us to unpack, make beds, and get swimmers on. With little kids in tow this is awesome. See their website at www.dicky.com.au. The also had free internet access which was good. The rooms were a little smaller than we expected, but otherwise clean and comfortable. If we hadnt had the baby it would have been fine, just a little difficult with a child that just learnt to walk going stir crazy inside. Lucky it was restricted just to night time, as during the day we were outside on the beach!

We had the best fish n chips I have had for a long time. The crumbed Dory was delicious. The girls loved it too, they laughed that we were eating Dory from Nemo fame!! So if you are ever in Dicky's Beach I recommend Barkers Fish and Chip shop. Apparently the family have owned businesses here since the 1930's! After lunch straight down to the beach. Who would have thought we would be swimming in winter! The weather has been beautiful of late, however it was cloudy part of the time this weekend with rain tipped!! It never rains in Queensland, so we had to be happy if it rained, even if it meant it wrecked our holiday. Well the rains started after we left!! YAY! So we had perfect cool weather with a hint of sun. We even got a tiny tiny bit sunburnt but nothing uncomfortable. I totally recomend holidaying in winter in Queensland!

The beach was named after the ship, the SS Dicky, which ran aground during heavy seas on February 4, 1893. It was re-floated, but again, heavy seas turned the ship about and back onto the sand where it remains to this day. A sign at the beach said that it is the only recreational use beach in Australia/the world? named after a ship wreck.

We made sandcastles, wrote our names in the sand, checked out the ship wreck, swam (well the kids) and had a great time. There were very few people around so the girls were very happy to have the beach to themselves! It was a bit windy so they even spent time chasing their swim rings rolling down the beach. They thought it was hilarious!

In the afternoon we went to Moffat Beach and up the headland which had beautiful views. around the headland at the end of Moffat Beach there are lots of rocks. The girls like to go exploring on the rocks so we headed off insearch of some sea creatures. We found two crabs (hiding under the ledges barely visible) and some sea enemone/urchins type things. It was a great time exploring with only a few slips on the sea mossed rocks. We watched the sunset from the headland and drove around looking at wonderful huge beach houses and the views wishing we lived here!!

Back to our room for a movie on the laptop for the kids. All day they kept saying "This is all my dreams come true" " This is exactly what I always wanted" "The house (cabin) is a small one just perfect for me" And lots more superlatives!! Glad they are easily impressed. Or maybe this means we need to take them on more holidays? Or maybe this is how my little positive angels are all the time!





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb