Day 155 - Ilbilbie to Rockhampton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
August 29th 2015
Published: September 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This was another day where we hadn't planned anything other than drive south.

After returning to the highway, we drove a short distance before the traffic became quite heavy (the Bruce Highway is mostly single lane with short passing opportunities each 5 kilometres if the terrain is flattish).

We decided to pull in to the Flaggy Rock Creek Cafe for coffee and cake. They had home made ice cream too so we had to try the mango but it wasn't anything like what we had enjoyed previously at Wild Mango in Kununurra.

Because Georgi wanted to spend some time in her early home town of Gladstone, we decided to stop early in Rockhampton (so we had plenty of time in Gladstone tomorrow). We refilled the gas bottle, topped up the bus with diesel and found a nice caravan park. Unfortunately, when we went to park the bus the local busybody rushed over and exclaimed "you can't park there - that's where your caravan goes!". Maybe she thought we had a caravan too? I felt like saying "We park anywhere we like in a caravan park" but decided it was best just to ignore her.

We asked the park staff where we could eat and were directed down the street to what appeared to be the takeaway section of town. We wanted something a bit nicer and checked tripadvisor and located the Astor Hotel nearby (specialising in Brahman steaks). Given that Rockhampton promotes itself as the beef capital of Australia we thought this was a good choice. An excellent meal it was, although we couldn't drink any alcohol due to our licence restrictions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.3kb