CARMILA BEACH


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
June 19th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Carmila Beach nearly low tideCarmila Beach nearly low tideCarmila Beach nearly low tide

The tide goes out 1.8km...It's a long way to go fishing! nearly
Just spent 4 nights at Carmila Beach which is about 200km north of Rockhampton. This has been our biggest drive yet...about 460km. Probably a bit too far for us to go in one day as we were a bit tired and grumpy by the time we got there and found a spot... then had to set up the tent...dig a toilet pit..start a fire. But I'm sure we will have to drive further at some stage. We are lucky they have had alot of rain here which has kept the campers away as we arrived in the middle of the Queens Birthday long weekend and I'm sure we would have struggled to get a spot at all let alone a good one like this. We have great protection from the wind an can see the water.
Carmila Beach is very much like inskip at Rainbow Beach except the sand is brown and very grainy. It dosen't stick to anything either which is great! When the tide goes out here it goes out a mile and quite quick.
Peter caught his first fish of the trip here :-) A Bream and a Shark. We ate them both crumbed. Yum! They were well earned as he caught them both on low tide which involves a half hour walk out to the shore line.
We would definately come back here for another camping trip, Peter had a ball fishing, I had plenty of time and warm sun to read my book and Max loved his walks on the beach.

Left here all set to camp at Kinchant Dam...booked ahead as that's what the travel book reccommends...very popular busy spot...has a bar, laundry, shop, toilets and hot showers...A must do while in Makay region. Well the drive there was very painful, not one sign to indicate that we were heading in the right direction. The roads are a big pot-holed mess and the road works delays (obviously they are trying to fix pot-holes) were unbelievable...20mins at one stop sign. On arrival the place looked abandoned and we were finally greeted by a very rude "Can I Help You Two!" We were then directed to our camp spot...which was on the water, very nice but also 5 meters from the Bar. I went to the amenities as I was keen to have a shower and do some washing etc as it has been a few days and was very shocked at the state of all of the above. I then almost ran back to the car to tell Peter let's go! Obviously he was thinking the same thing as he never questioned it just hoped straight back in and we drove off. I'm sure it won't be the last time. Anyway we had lunch at Kinchant Dam and worked out were we were going to go next.
We ended up at a fantastic Caravan Park at Midge Point. North of Mackay

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb