Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Alarm went at 3:15, there was no traffic as we drove to the airport and only 6 degrees outside. The check in went well and we managed to score a nice cappuccino before we took off.



On the plane we all fell asleep again and arrived in Cairns at 9:15 am. On our way to our resort we made a stop at a Crocodile farm/zoo. It was very impressive to see how big they get and to learn about the different types of crocks. The most fearsome is the Salty, which is not really a correct name for it since they, like all crocodiles, mainly live in fresh water. The oldest and largest at the farm was a male of about 5.7 meters. He is the third largest in the world and has no teeth left. Not that he is much less dangerous without his teeth; he still has his high-powered jaws that can exert a pressure of 3000 psi. This is about four times as much as the most powerful lion or shark. They are simply the animals with the strongest jaws. We had lunch at the farm and ate crocodile meat in different shapes. It was an interesting taste. The crocodile farming is done as part of the conservation effort to counter illegal hunting of crocs.



We have now arrived at the resort in Port Douglas and check-in in our house. It is very nice and spacious and we feel we will get a good couple of day’s heir. For the evening we will head in to Port Douglas and have dinner at one of the many seafood restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb