Kuranda


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
July 24th 2012
Published: July 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The weather was fair this morning, nice and warm compared to the last couple of weeks in the south. Curt and I went for a run on the beach and then we all had breakfast in the restaurant. As we ate we looked at things to do around Port Douglas and decided to go visit a rainforest and scenic railroad. For a visit to the Great Barrier Reef, which we really want to do, we need to book a few days in advance. It will have to be later in the week.



The rainforest tour begun with a sky-rail, a type gondola, taking us above and through the rainforest canopy and ascending some 300 meters up into the highlands. There we had two stops to watch specific plants and we took a half-hour walk with an aboriginal guide. He showed us the basics of how the local aboriginal people in the area use to live. It was interesting to see how useful the rainforest can be if you know where to look for what you need. The sky-rail ended in a small town called Kuranda, it was very touristic but nice. We had lunch there and took a scenic railway train back to the car. The train ride was very beautiful and showed some nice views of the surrounding landscape.



Tomorrow we plan for a beach day and perhaps look around in Port Douglas a bit and do decide when we will go to the reef.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb