More tropics


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
October 15th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Left Cairns yesterday and drove up to Port Douglas for 4 days of R and R before heading off to Alice Springs in the Outback. This time the Best Western pulled through and we have a nice kitchenette off the beaten path.

Port Douglas is a lovely area, quite similar to Wailea in Hawaii. Today is a organizing day... laundry... groceries and such.

The dive trip was fabulous. In the next blog entry I promise we will have some pictures... including some of Steve and I underwater with our gear. We saw some amazing marine life, including sharks. The sharks that hang out that part of the barrier reef are not killer sharks, but to see one is pretty amazing.

During our night dive we were doing a safety stop about 5 metres below the water and we saw 5 sharks just circling the boat. Believe me.... even though we knew they weren't dangerous... we sort of clustered together and then exited the water when we could.

We had one snorkelling swim inbetween our deep dive and our photography dive. We saw a huge school of fish that was bothered by a shark. The shark was hunting and the school of fish just moved out of the way. Very cool.

Steve and I had a dive on our own where we explored a bit. We saw a turtle that was feeding and then he turned up and swam up to the surface. Extremely graceful.

That's all for now. More to come!

Love to all,

Ann



Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb