Over the Hill and Certified


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 16th 2010
Published: October 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pre-divePre-divePre-dive

False bravado
We are still flying after doing the dive trip on the Great Barrier Reef.

We had some trepidation when we were picked up with the Pro Dive van and it was clear that with this first group we were about 30 years older than everyone else. Upon arrival at the store for registration other vans arrived and it was with significant relief that we found that there were other geriatric divers (over 25).

The trip went amazingly well after that. A bit more trepidation when we learned our instructor was to be "Dangerous Dave"! As it turned out he had a Master Instructor rating and was a fabulous teacher. The Pro Dive crew were exceptionally trained with safety as a major focus. The food was plentiful and outstanding.

Lots of dives resulting in certification of open water divers Heather and Graham you can buy us some drinks when we return!

There were some particularly poignant learning opportunities.... Ann learned that the regulator works FAR better for air supply than the snorkel when you get below 1 metre in the ocean. Steve found that his BCD has a mind of its own at times.

Prior to
30 years together30 years together30 years together

Where is she going to take me next?
the night dive the crew of the boat kindly played the theme song from Jaws... we nervously laughed it off. Then - guess what!! We saw sharks up to 8 feet long! There was a group of them circling the boat looking for easy pickings. Fortunately we still have all of our limbs. That was a sight we will never forget.

We got certified to dive up (down?) to 100 feet. Steve had a bit of nitrogen narcosis and decided he won't go back in a hurry. But - it's good to know we can exceed the 60 foot limit if we wish.

Did a total of 8 dives over 3 days. We could hardly function after getting off the boat but managed to drive to Port Douglas. Today was a rest day. Port Douglas is beautiful... similar to the Wailea area of Maui, Hawaii.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cuttle FishCuttle Fish
Cuttle Fish

Very UFO like. Notice the funny propulsion skirt for swimming. Not quite as cute as a koala.
Ann at 15mAnn at 15m
Ann at 15m

Just chillin


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb