DAY 30 BIRDSVILLE-MT ISA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mt Isa
July 8th 2022
Published: July 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Too much driving today. Nearly 700kms. Road surfaces varied from smooth gravel, very dusty surfaces, rough stone, narrow one lane bitumen, bitumen wide enough for two vehicles to pass but with no shoulder. This was surprising for us as Mt Isa is a major town in north-western Qld. There were more Floodways, creeks (mainly dry) and river crossings (also mainly dry or with pooled water), than on any other road travelled so far.

First stop was Bedourie, 191km from Birdsville. It is the headquarters of the vast Diamantina Shire which is bigger than the country of Denmark. Beef production, tourism and mining exploration are the major industries. From here it was onto Boulia, also a distance of 191km. Approximately 120km north of Bedourie we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn where obligatory photo was taken. We stopped a few times to walk onto the plains to speak to stock horses. They were very friendly.

On the edge of the town of Boulia is the 10m windmill and water tank and 20m water tower. It is said to be one of the first windmills in Boulia and is used to pump the town’s water supply. Alongside the windmill is the water tank with an impressive mural depicting landscape of the shire. Waddi Trees, exceptionally hard wood, were observed around Boulia.

Free roaming cattle, mostly Brahmans, were in abundance and had us slowing many times. A few cattle road trains passed us and when they did, we were stopped and metres off the road. Quite a few eagles, many hawks, emus and dancing brolgas were seen. What did occur on numerous occasions were flocks of small birds in their thousands swarming over the plains, splitting up into groups as if rehearsed, diving and soaring at speed. It was wonderful to watch.

The landscape became more interesting on approach to Mt Isa, with hills and valleys and the road cut out of the hillsides. Mt Isa is home to silver, lead and zinc mining. We were quite tired upon arrival, so it was set up camp, eat, shower and write our experiences. After Big Red we have much to wash so tomorrow will be the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement








Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb