Our Moranbah visit is over


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Moranbah
October 24th 2013
Published: October 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left Moranbah Friday morning after a wonderful week visiting with Tristan and Zoe. Wednesday we drove to Clermont an hour drive to the west for lunch. The landscape was dotted with minimalistic rocky outcrops some of a single peak others of doubles (fondly called the Boobs) and then some with a few more peaks. Caves could be seen high up in the rock walls. Greg was getting itchy feet to go and have a look. Sorry Greg, another day.



Cattle and sorghum production became the major land use. Apparently many GM crops are being tested in this area.



Clermont looks an old town and sadly many of the buildings are empty. The closure of one of the mines in the area meant this was a town in decline.



After lunch we drove back to Moranbah where Tristan showed us many of the club sites for such things as pony club, motor cross, a BMX track and shooters clubs. These were down a bumpy dirt track where Tristan again showed us why he loves his truck.



Sorry very few photos of this day as the camera battery went flat. You know how it is.



With lots of preparation for their Friday early morning departure for Brisbane, we did our own thing until we met up again for a farewell dinner at the Workers Club Thursday evening.



Moranbah is quite a beautiful town. It is very densely populated with mine camp areas, areas of individual housing mostly owned by BMA and lots of dongas. It is a growing town with several new areas of housing under construction. It was quite different to what we expected. We were glad to see where Tristan and Zoe live and work before they move on shortly.

We will not miss the sunrise morning gang brawls between the caravan park murder of at least 20 crows and their tormentors: some mornings it was the currawongs and others a loan hawk. Believe it or not it was the tormentors who seemed to be the winners.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The sandy bed of the Isaac RiverThe sandy bed of the Isaac River
The sandy bed of the Isaac River

Tristan has seen people camping in the river bed – very dangerous
Under the bridge.Under the bridge.
Under the bridge.

There are logs stuck in the top supports from the last flood!


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb