Port Douglas to Mission Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mena Creek
July 10th 2016
Published: July 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have given ourselves a week to do the East Coast of Australia. Behind planned time again with term 3 of school returning in Victoria tomorrow.
Just as well we have done most of the East plenty of times before.
Departure time 0900hrs, odometer 93358, temperature 17 degrees Celsius.
Back towards Cairns via the A1, Bruce Highway, enjoying the picturesque beach views on the ever winding road.
Fuelled up and groceries in Cairns at 1.25cents per litre, we travelled until we reached Paronella Park.
Our car having computer problems with the dash lights telling us we we had anything from stability, engine to transmission problems. Approximately every 5 to 30 kilometres we had to turn off the computer/car and restart it. Frustrating!!!
Paronella Park is heritage listed, located at Mena Creek 120 kilometres south of Cairns.
Paronella Park was built in the 1930s by José Paronella, a Spanish immigrant. José Paronella built facilities, including tennis courts and a cinema and a ballroom inspired by Spanish castles, to provide entertainment for the public. An eccentric man with an amazing imagination.
Since his death, a fire, a cyclone and several floods have badly damaged the park and the buildings. The park changed owners several times until, in 1993, it was bought by the present owners.
The present day owner greeted us at the entrance. We ate our lunch here and went on the tour of the property. Just as amazing as 9 years ago. When we visited. The present owners continuing to make improvements
The caravan park over flowing here we pushed on to Mission Beach.
Arriving at Mission Beach in the late afternoon rain drizzle, the kids investigated the beach whilst we set up. The 92 year old caravan park owner helping us park the caravan.
Peter contacted a Land Drover specialist in Townsville, so we could get our car problems sorted out tomorrow.
Corn Beef and vegetables out of the dream pot for dinner and bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb