Relaxing in Mooloolaba and onto Double Island Point


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Maroochydore
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Saturdaywas a beautiful sunny day in Mooloolaba and a good day for doing a load of washing.

Once this was done, we heard from our friend Michelle that she was coming up from Brisbane for a visit, and she arrived around 11. Took the opportunity of her car to do a shopping run to Coles and take in some of the sights of Mooloolaba and Marochydore along the way.

Lunch at the Surf club with views over the bay and the Dragon boat races, a couple of drinks, stroll along the beach and some exorbitantly priced yoghurt made for a relaxing afternoon.

Michelle headed home and we went for our last hot showers for a while, and made the boat ready for our big day tomorrow.

Thanks for coming down Michelle, lovely to see you.

Its funny that we rarely met people that have sailed to Asia on the Gold Coast but of the two we talked to at the marina in Mooloolaba they both had! Perhaps something to do with being more north. Got some good tips and reassurance that it's safe.... "as long as you listen to your gut".... not sure that will help, my guts say a lot of things when I eat some asian food!



Up early Sunday and we motoring away from the marina by 6:30 am. Have loved staying at this marina, so central and close to everything.

Once out of the river we set sail north with the promise of strong winds to take us the 50 nautical miles up to Double Island Point- this is the headland just south of Rainbow Beach.

Winds were not as good as expected, very variable, making progress slow. As we passed Noosa around noon, the wind dropped off further and we gave up hope of reaching Double Island Point and turned toward Noosa with plans to anchor there.

But then after about half an hour the wind picked up to a solid 15-20 knots. So we turned north again, hoping it would hold out so we could make the anchorage in daylight.

Had a good few hours of beautiful sailing watching the colourful Cooloola coast passing by.

Around 3 pm the winds started to wane and we put on the engine - keen not to have to find our way into this anchorage in the dark. Came around Double Island Point and found a spot close to the beach just in time. S25 56.856 E153 09.648

Tomorrow Wide Bay Bar !!! But if the westerly winds hold up it should be calm.... 'smooth sailing' as they say.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



19th May 2013

Little Sailor
Looks like Alex is getting to grips with the ropes in one of the pictures. A true little sailor. How is he finding the 'rocking' motion.
20th May 2013

Anchoring
Hi guys, interested to know how much swell there was at the Double Island Point spot. Is there much surf in that area?
21st May 2013

hey steve, well I wrote the last blog with you question in mind so probably answered the question already. I think the swell here can be pretty mean along this beach usually, but we had west and south west winds so were protected from wave action and anchored in close to the beach and the headland for best protection from swell and it was hardly noticeable

Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 81; dbt: 0.137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb