Frustration...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
July 28th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well it just goes to show planning gets you no where!.

That change of plan we had in mind of 'battling' south to our next stop, well it never happened. Although thats not to say we didn't try..... 5:30 Sunday morning,made a coffee and gave the boat one last check for anything not secured down properly.
SW predicted to blow, around 15-20 knots, great.
Started up motor, pulled up anchor and away we go. Winched up mainsail, and furled out heady.... Averging about 9 knots at one stage, then up to 13. Flying along.
Wind slowly starts to blow SE and then the swell picks up and ......Clunk,clunk,clunk; shit, turn off the motor. That said, the boat starts to buck a little and we slow to a mere 2-3 knots.

No frigging idea what it could be but didn't sound forgiving by any means.! After about 10 mins trying to steer in an almost steady course; the boat slowly starts to favour a course away from land and heads to reef....Not quite what we wanted. Ok so, all options considered; Tack!!! After a few encourging words with the sails finally they obey and we find ourselves back on a great surf toward Maggie, again.
Who's bloody stupid idea was it to sail South?!!!

So, once again we sail into Horseshoe Bay, considering our options as to where to drop anchor. Only this time we have about 10 other boats to avoid, so tack, tack again and after one final tack we head straight for a small opening that looks nice.
Now, I didn't mention this before but..; pulling up anchor this morning didn,t go to plan either, about 1/2 metre away the winch decides to die! great so, ok we just have to do it by hand; adds to the fun, doesn't it??
So with that in mind, we have to drop it again, by hand this time.

....Maybe I'll just stick to no planning, it seems to work better!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb