Christmas in July in Binna Burra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Lamington NP
July 17th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Sunrise at Binna BurraSunrise at Binna BurraSunrise at Binna Burra

An early morning trek to the washrooms and I caught a glimpse of the most beautiful sunrise.
Another weekend and a chance to explore some more of the beautiful countryside. This weekend we packed the car up with extra blankets and duvets, thick clothing and thermal underwear to camp over night in a canvas tent in the coldest month of the year! A strange custom has been adopted here in Australia to acknowledge Christmas in July aswell as December as the weather reminds people more of an English Yule Tide?!?!? We still have not got our heads round this idea especially when you see Santa and Christmas Trees decked in all their glory in some towns and shops.

Binna Burra is situated in the middle of the McPherson range in the Lamington National Park on the border between QLD and NSW. The views were spectacular of the Gold Coast and the sea beyond as we drove up the steep road to the entrance to the park from Nerang to Beechmont.

Binna Burra has a small campground and a series of small 2 and 6 person canvas log cabins that perch along the side of the mountain over looking the scenic rim and Springbook National Park. It is very basic but clean, providing cooking areas and washing
The Cave Circuit WalkThe Cave Circuit WalkThe Cave Circuit Walk

The walk along the circuit took us pass the caves that provided shelter and overlooked the valley below.
facilities with hot showers. We were able to set up our gas cooker and brew a cuppa and cook a great breakfast, we even managed steak sandwiches for supper!

There are many walks throughout the park in varying lengths and durations. We set out for one 5km walk past the guesthouse to the two sets of caves with large eroding overhangs that show layers of volcanic rock and ash in its smooth rocky walls on the Cave Circuit Walk to the Kweebani Caves, a refuge and dwelling place for the Yugambeh people with winding tracks along the slopes of the Coomera Valley. There were great views and sounds of the forest as birds called out to each other and cockatoos screeched amidst the trees. The track continues to take you through the forest and leads you back close to the camp site. The other walk took us to Bellbird Lookout descending through rainforest and wallabies hopping along the path to views of Egg Rock and Turtle Rock in the valley below.

As the light started to fade we gathered dry tinder to light our log fire outside our cabin and the boy scout instincts came to the fore
Bear GryllsBear GryllsBear Grylls

Dominic walking along the trek demonstrating his survival techniques.
as Alex and Dominic encouraged the fire to ignite and offer us much needed warmth for the cold evening as the temeperature had dropped significantly. We sat huddled around the fire eating our supper and told jokes and stories, listened to the night sounds of the forest and filled the cabin with the smell log fire smoke. With three layers of clothes on we managed to have a very restful nights sleep and awoke to the sunrising above the mountain range, it was beautiful.

Sunday took us down to Canungara for a coffee stop amongst the leather clad bikers taking a day trip into the countryside where they lined their mean machines along the road and chatted to like minded travellers. A very popular meeting place and on the cross roads to both O'Reillys and Binna Burra.

The drive to Mt Tamborine took us through Lower Beechmont along mountain scenic roads and lookouts, we were in search of the rainforest assult course that challenged all would be commandos to a gruelling, physical 3 hour experience, climbing, abseiling, swinging, balancing and negotiating difficult hanging ropes and chain ropes,15m above the ground! What were we thinking and more to the
View from Bellbird LookoutView from Bellbird LookoutView from Bellbird Lookout

Views down into the valley below and beyond.
point why did I sign up too? After gowning up in boilersuits, listening to a 20 minute talk and video and our harnesses strapped to our bodies we were let loose on the course. Not to be out done by the men I put on a brave face and braced my self for the most terrifying torture of my life, I decided I would rather give birth than go through that all again! The boys of course loved it and travelled across chain tight ropes and ladders, wobbling stepping stones and hung upside down pulling themselves through barrels. I did not mind the aerial runs but found it difficult to slow down as I approached the post at the end. We all had a great time despite the aches and pains!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Accommodation for the nightAccommodation for the night
Accommodation for the night

Sitting infront of our canvas cabin having lunch.
Boy Scout SkillsBoy Scout Skills
Boy Scout Skills

Alex demonstrating his skills in getting the fire going.
Keeping WarmKeeping Warm
Keeping Warm

Sitting right infront of the log fire in the early evening as the temperature dropped.
The OutpostThe Outpost
The Outpost

The unmistakable cafe on the crossroads in Canungra.
Commandos at the Ready!Commandos at the Ready!
Commandos at the Ready!

Little did we know quite what we were letting ourselves in for.
A walk on the wild side!A walk on the wild side!
A walk on the wild side!

This was one of the easier courses!!
Kevin BarreledKevin Barreled
Kevin Barreled

Here you had to pull yourself through the barrels headfirst and upside down!


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb