Hervey Bay - Home of the Humpback whale


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
October 28th 2006
Published: October 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hervey bay is great great great, we have even extended our time here. First day we got bikes out to take a look around......we were on them all day! God knows how far we went, and yes we were very sore again like in NZ but we got to see alot of places and spend time on the lovely beach. See picture of Jetty, the weather here is just fantastic. The next day we did the long awaited whale watching, we tried to do it in NZ but didnt get time, however, we are glad we didnt as Hervey bay is home of the humbacks and a great place to do it. We boarded the boat at 1.00pm had a good lunch aboard the boat and we had to travel 2 hours out to sea, before we saw any sightings. We were worried we would only see the splashes in the distance. But we didnt, they gave us a great show, from breaching to (where they jump out and show their tummys) tail slapping,logging and fluking (see pics where they look like they have an arm out of water) and showing their humps. It was fantastic, getting the pictures at the right time was not easy, but we tried, they dont do it justice, but watching them and having the memories is enough. We were so close and great to see them in their natural environment. A great day! We also got an even better treat, DOLPHINS! They swam with the boat, jumped out of the water, and almost close enough to touch.They are such intelligent animals, and very much SHOW OFFS! But we love them, unfortuntely the camera battery ran out when the dolphins came but the whale photos are still good. See the tail shot and we have a few when the whale breaches and you can sort of make out its tummy, there are many with the huge splashes that they make. Whale watching is highly recommended, and money well spent for us!

The hostel we are in is called the Friendly Hostel, and friendly it is too! Really homely and nice and clean, we have stayed four nights instead of two! For all travellers, check it out!

Andrew - well done on the bill, cant wait to see ya!

Lisa - Thanks for your message, yes we love the blogs and will keep them up, miss ys x x x

Lucy - Congratulations on the engagement - over excited, we have a hen night to plan!

Lee - Congratulations on the birth of your lovely baby girl Isabella Mae

Mum- Home safely ?

Dad - How are you?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



29th October 2006

Hi!!!
Hey SMI and Mandy, Everytime I look on here your trip sounds even more amazing. Can't believe how much you have done!!! Bet you cant wait to get back!! Not!!! Thanks for calling on my birthday!! Was really nice to hear from you even though I have no idea how much a three minute call from Australia to Rome is going to cost me!! Oh well, was worth it!! Miss you loads!!! xxxxxxx
30th October 2006

Hey guys
Greetings from the lab... wow photos are amazing! Keep up the blogs! No news my end... debs is moving in 2 wks so been helping her pack. Went to gleneagles a few wkends ago and saw loads of famous people. anyway... enjoy yourselves... miss u loads pandy... hi smi as well xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx eg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb