Time to go


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
August 24th 2012
Published: August 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Fraser Island was lovely, and I strongly recommend a visit there if you are ever in the area. However, if you are going to take your own 4WD, you need to know how to manage the sand roads. We managed to get stuck twice, both times because we had too much air in the tyres. It was just a matter of letting out a bit more air and we were on our way. On our second day we were headed over to the surf beach for some fishing and came across a car towing a caravan. They were stuck, which meant everybody else was stranded until they could be helped out of their dilemma. Why anybody thinks it is a good idea to tow a caravan along those roads is beyond me, and what condition they arrive in at the end of the road is anybody’s guess. Driving along the beach is easy, like driving on the highway.

We were happy with the two fish we caught. Initially we thought they were silver trevallies, but we later found out they were swallowtail darts. Either way, we were so pleased to have finally caught some fish., and they were good to eat too.

After two nights in doggie gaol, we picked up our two very excited girls and took them to the markets in Maryborough. Poor Sally was unwell the whole day, possibly related to fretting. Today she is back to her usual self.

We decided it is time to move on, so today was our last day at Burrum Heads. We went for a drive into Bundaberg, a walk around the Botanic Gardens and then lunch at Bagara. There was a storm forecast, but it didn’t happen, so we had another lovely day.

We finished our day with local tiger prawns by the river watching the sunset. Our timing couldn’t be better with moving. Two families with noisy children, crying baby and foul-mouthed fathers have moved into the cabins next to us. Up until this point it has been lovely and quiet. No school holidays means hardly any children, just the way it should be.

Tomorrow we are heading down to Ballina on the NSW coast for a couple of days and hopefully some fishing. We have come to the conclusion that a small tinny is a necessary part of our travel equipment. Until then, we will do what we can with what we have.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb