Harvey Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
September 1st 2007
Published: March 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heavenly Harvey Bay



After our ordeal at Bundaberg we booked into a gorgeous YHA resort in Harvey Bay near the marina. It was lovely; bar, pool, spa, tennis court (not that we played!) great comfy sofas where they host games and quiz nights. The people that worked there were just great fun and we always met friendly people. We booked in for 2 nights and ended up staying 10!

Bike ride
We decided to be geeks for the day and rent out push bikes. We packed lots of water, fastened our helmets, and waited whilst Sharlene adjusted her seat, ha! and then we were off. We cycled all the way up the beach front along the Esplanade, into the bush and then back to the marina. Our bums were a little worse for wear the following morning.

Whale Watching
Harvey Bay is THE place to go Whale watching. I have never been up close to an animal that size so this I knew was going to be one of the highlights for me. We chose to do a full day trip on a sailing boat rather than the high speed ferries as it would be a smaller group only 20 people and would be more intimate with the animals. On board this gorgeous catamaran called Shaila, we sunbathed in the early morning sun. The views were spectacular and the ocean pure blue. When we reached a pod of 3 we were encouraged to make noise to entice them closer. Obviously everyone on the boat did this at first, but the clapping and whooping died down after a solid 5 mins of this. The deck hand was a high-pitched young girl who loved her job and was like a kid in a candy store, screaming and cooing at the whales. We attempted singing to them, chanting...even trying our hand at Whale talk! ha! It was a fantastic day and sailing back to shore was so relaxed, music on, lazing in the sun...perfect!



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb