Crossing over Fraser Island..


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
November 20th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Next stop: Hervey Bay. We were staying in a really nice hostel here, with an won bar and sort of restaurant and all rooms were to be accessed from outside. Bit like camping 😊. The first night here we had dinner in the hostel, together with Rem and Mar (remember, Emma's friends), who also happened to be staying in the hostel. Afterwards we had some drinks with some others who were staying/working in the hostel, actually really cosy. Next day we rented bikes and explored Hervey Bay. Turned out to be a very beautiful little (although, little, hmm, also pretty widespread) place, especially the harbour. In the evening we had some sort of picnic on the area of our hostel, really cosy, and then went to bed early, to be fit for our big day, our Fraser island tour..

Fraser Island was the main reason we had stopped in Hervey Bay. The island is pretty special, because of its completely sand based structure, its vegetation and its special lakes, and therefore also world heritage property. It's hard to describe Fraser, I can only say it's very very beautiful and interesting and definitely a must see. The 'highway' on the beach, Lake MCKenzie, one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen, great forests, creaks, etc. But since it roads are all made of sand, you need a 4WD to get around. We had made the choice to go on a tour, so we would be sure we'd get to see everything there is to see, plus hear a lot about it. Well, I don't regret that decision. Fraser is already very special, but even more if you also know all the things the tour guide tells you on the way. Ideally a 2 day tour would have been better, now we kind of had to rush through some things, but budget wise his one day tour was a better choice 😉. After we got back from the tour we made ourselves a nice meal (pasta salad again, our specialty 😉) and then got on the bus, to Airlie Beach..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb