Back to a bigger city: Brisbane!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
November 18th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After all the smaller cities we'd seen, it was time for a bigger one again: we were gonna spend a few days in the 3rd biggest city of Australia, Brisbane. Despite the little disadvantages of a bigger cities (our hostel was very centrally located, so it was considerably less easy to get around than in cities like Byron), I did love Brisbane.. A very very nice city! One of the parts of Brisbane I really liked is Southbank. The coolest thing there was the street beach, a man made beach with a view on the city, pretty cool. And of course lots of nice bars, cafes, restaurants, shops etc etc around. Another good thing was the cinema there, we've seen 'a good year' over there for only 5$ per person, actually a really nice movie that showed us all the existing prejudices about French, English and American people, quite funny.

But there's a lot more of nice stuff to see in Brisbane. We've done a walk along the river, along a few ferry ports, and through the city parc, which was also very nice. On this walk we've also seen the university, wow, that's something different than the Erasmus, for sure! It was pretty funny, when we were having a coffee in the parc there was also a wedding going on, we basically just sat right next to the guests. Pity Emma didn't catch the bouquet 😉. And Brisbane has a lot of good musea, many of which are admission free. So we've seen some good art and informed ourselves about Queensland specifics. (okay, now it sounds like the admission free part was the reason for our museum visits, no worries, we're not that budget conscious yet, haha, just was a nice extra).

As a big city is supposed to, of course Brisbane offers a lo of possibilities to entertain yourself during the evenings. We had for instance a really good Indian dinner (our first BYO dinner, hihi, which means you're allowed to bring your own drinks), very yummie. (I really got addicted to Indian food on this trip 😊) Basically all the things we've done in the evening were lots of fun, except for the one thing that was supposed to be the highlight, our night of partying. We went to Fridays, a club where they played exactly our kind of music, but, my gosh it was so crowded that you couldn't even dance properly. So no fun. When we decided to leave already quite early, the next surprise came: instead of getting into a cab which is waiting in line for customers (as it is in Rotterdam), we had to wait in line for a cab, for 45 mins!!! Incredible.. Well, sometimes your evening just doesn't really turn out to be what you expected of it.. But, no worries, it did not at all spoil my impression of Brisbane, I still like it a lot!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb