On The Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gympie
March 6th 2013
Published: March 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This is infact a ' Note from a bloody big island' with no apologies to Bill Bryson.The ongoing headwind persists and will probably be driving me barmy 'til Melbourne! Aside from that, even at 100+km/day it seems very slow progress down the Bruce HW. I won't be in Brisbane for another couple of days.

Tonight for the 1st time since somewhere in Iran, I'm free-camping but tonight and for 1 night only, I'm camped next to a petrol station. It doesn't sound too glorious but infact the position is almost delightful. There's a couple of ponds, coots, ducks, turtles, ibis, green lorrakeets and a great view of hills to the west. You'd love it! Of course there's also a truck or 10 pounding up and down the highway not to speak of buses cars and trucks pulling in. So a rural idyll it is not. However it is free so the money is being spent on vast quantities of food which are disappearing down my neck as fast as is socially acceptable.

After about a week of rain it's been sunny for 2 days, however this evening drizzle has returned so whilst I should be dry in the tent, tomorrow is another matter, another day. I may have to stuff the sodden/sodding tent into its' bag, willy-nilly. Wet or dry. What an adventure? No not really. Just soggy ponging living for a day or 2. Just like being a boy scout again only at 60 it isn't quite so much fun ( in the wet).

Enough moaning. All else going well. Pretty 'heritage/colonial' style buildings in most towns. Wide streets. And alot of sun-blasted souls strolling in the high intensity UV. A bit like me I suppose.

Yesterday in Gin Gin I met a frenchman, about my vintage soloing around the world over 2-3 years! Returns to France from time to time to see his kids but NOT his Ex! He's covered north and south America, Africa and is circumnavigating Australia! Makes my effort seem a bit feeble.

Amazingly I also came across an ex-Tivertonian, Lisa (nee Burston) now Street. She opened the door to her motel office and said 'Hello Dr Bloom'! Stunned Mullet wasn't in it. I was totally fazed. Been in Oz 7 years, she and her husband Ian ( also from Tiverton) have 3 kids, took a punt on this property in the middle of nowhere at all and have spent 3 years doing it up. Pretty place but needs a huge amount more work ,and money. Small world. Well, no. I've spent 9 months proving that it is in fact a very big world but Lisas opening gambit certainly shrunk it momentarily.

So, onward and downward as we say. The tropic of capricorn is now well and trully behind me. The sun when it's out is now on my back. The road south undulates delightfully. Life could be a lot worse. Hope I'm not washed out of the tent tonight.

More from Brisbane or thereabouts.

Regards,

The Happy Cyclopath.

Advertisement



16th March 2013

Words from Dorset
Hi Nick How do you keep going? Impressive resolve and Australia so much larger than any country you have crossed already. I am amazed only your 2nd night of free camping. Hard to believe you always managed to find a camp site or b&b etc. All ok at this end and busy couple of weeks with Josh's 1st birthday and Toby's christening. The year has flown by. Still working 3 or4 days a week but just appointed new consultant so plan to go down to 2 days end of this year. Don't feel like stopping completely yet. Keep safe and look forward to seeing you back in UK. When is that planned? Love Geoff and Claire.
20th March 2013

Homeward Bound At Last
Geoff, I'm booked on a flight to LHR on 16th April. Time to spend a few more days here with sis in Wangi, peddle the last 1000km to Melbourne, throw out piles of accumulated junk,(aka excess baggage) get bike boxed and flop into the seat of a malasian airlines airbus 300! See you soon. Love, Nick

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb