Rainy Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
February 11th 2009
Published: February 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So I am currently in australia. I arrived on my birthday to torrential rain. Luckily i met some people as soon as i arrived and we went to explore cairns and bought plastic ponchos en route and braved the rain.

We treated ourselves to cheap wine from a box and went out for the night in cairns. Halfway through the night i took as detour to the adventure playground and played on the slides. In all it was a very sophisticated birthday.

I didn't do much in cairns as the rain was relentless. It was hard to get anywhere due to flooding and there were crocodile warnings on the streets as the floods had bought them out. Most days we were reduced to drinking pina colada in the rain.

We spent most evenings drinking and enjoying the entertainment in the hostel. The best of which was toad racing. I bet on a toad and didn't realise that i was then responsible for keeping it in the race. Mine obviously, just for a laugh, escaped so i had to chase it round the bar. Just as i'd cornered it, it made a mad dash for the door and snuck out in the rain and I had to scrabble around in a bush after it. Was quite amusing.

A few days ago i flew down to brisbane and headed up to rainbow beach where i met up with a couple of friends from home and we stayed there a couple of days and also visited fraser island. By which point the naff weather had followed me so we've now headed further south to surfers paradise. Seems like i'm pretty unlucky as the rain has followed me here too. Hoping to finally get sun in byron bay in a couple of days.

Fraser island was pretty cool, there was a big lake with white sands, a shipwreck and a jungly bit that we walked through. Other than that we've not done much due to the bad weather. Will update more when i've got something to report other than rain and drunken nights.

x




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



16th February 2009

Poor you
Sorry to hear you're having so much rain but you don't appear to have let it interfer with you enjoying yourself, the toad race sounds like a hoot. Happy belated birthday. Didn't get down to see Hols this weekend but she will stay a night en-route to Stanstead. Continue the adventure. Big hugs. x Evelyn x
23rd February 2009

Happy Birthday
Hi glad to see you had fun on your birthday even with the rain! Hope you find some sunshine soon. Big love kelly xxx

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb