Saturday - Fraser Island day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
October 20th 2014
Published: October 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The day started not too early. The buffet breakfast was served 6.30 - 8am before heading off. I have to say the breakfast wasn't that great as most if the 'hot food' was actually tepid and must have been sat there some time.



We headed out back along the same track we always have to take as our accommodation is in one side of the island and the majority of the places we were visiting were on the opposite side or in the middle.



Now I haven't really mentioned the tracks through the island have I. Well as we were on a Hughes and dune all the tracks were of course sandy. It was soft sand which meant the ride was very bumpy and uneven and at times it was like being in a tin can and shaken up, almost taking me back to my days in India lol. Only this time a big powerful 4WD vehicle was required. I'm so glad too that seat belts are mandatory or we could have had quite a few injuries from being thrown around lol. We had a quick comfort break before heading up to near the top of the island.



We drove along the beach which is called 75km beach but isn't actually that long lol. Part way along we stopped off so that those that were interested could hop on a plane and go for a flight out over the sea to spot marine wild life and then over the island to see it from a different perspective. It cost $75 and took off and landed on the beach, only in place in Scotland do they do this. The flight was around 15 minutes and everyone who went seemed to enjoy bit but didn't rave about it.



After the plane ride we headed up to the champagne pools. We were running behind schedule unfortunately simply because the sand and high tide conditions slowed us down. We parked up and took our lunch down to the pools. Today we were on prepared chicken salad and wraps.



We walked along the costal path and had a great view of the sea. I have to sY we were all a little disappointed with the champagne pools to say the least. We had in mind large rock pools with the sea spilling over creating all the bubbles. Instead we got an outcrop of rocks with the sea spilling over, although I have to say the waves and spray were awesome! The pool was a bit smelly and fill of bits of seaweed so no one went swimming, we just paddled.



After the disappointing pools we headed to Indian head which is a small ish cliff which over looks the ocean. We parked on the beach and headed to the top via the back route over the rocks and up the hill through the trees and bushes. We had a great view and managed to see two turtles, a big one and a baby one and a shark in the waters just below the cliff face. Whilst we were up there a guy, not form our group, proposed to his girl friend bless very romantic :-) she said yes by the way!



We stayed up there about 20 minutes and spotted a couple turtles and a shark in the waters below, and then made our way back down to the bus. It was then time to head back to our accommodation and another bumpy ride along the sands and along the sand tracks through the forests.



We didn't bother to shower as it was nearly food time and we had decided to go down to the pool and hot tub after we had eaten. Once we had rested after our dinner a few of us walked down to the main reception and hit the hit tub and stayed in there about an hour and a half and then we caught the free bus back and hit the showers and bed ready for our final day on the island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb