Fraser Island!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 8th 2006
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone im writing you know after just finishing Fraser Island yesterday and though id write about it seeing its fresh in my mind!!!

At first before we even got to on the island we had to go through a briefing back at the hostel about the do's and dont's of the trip and so on. Then after that we were arranged in our groups and told to go and get some food and drink for the nest 3 days over there!!!

The group consisted of me harry and giles obviously then there was Loius the little Swiss bloke who became prob my favourite of the group he was so funny without meaning to be and a genuinly nice bloke. Then there was Holly english girl from london a complete control freak who had a split personality either she was really really nice or really controlling and had to have everything here own way and do it how she wanted to. Then there was billy canadian bloke who was a gd laugh and top bloke. Also Kristina a danish girl was really nice. Then there was Rich english nerd from southampton who is a computer science geek and was our driver for the whole trip. Then german brother and sister who were very quiet. Then last of all the bloke who turned out to be a physco Mark the Manc who was the exact sterotype u think of when u think of mancs permantly saying stuff like "Sound as a Pound" and many more silly phrases!!! Anyway that was them and we got up the next morning at ridiculous o'clock 5.15am had another meeting got everything sorted and headed off to the ferry and over onto the 75 mile long pure sand island!!! We took the never ending across the ferry and finally got onto the island. We headed off down the tracks and headed off to Lake Mckenzie to see what that was like and it was just amazing just a massive clear freshwater lake with rainforest all around it!! The pictures still dont do it justice i rekon the sand around the rim of the lake was the purest whitest and finest sand i have seen to date in Oz it was a spectacular start!!! We didnt spend long there as we were planning to head right to the top of the island on out way through we came across a mercades 4x4 which had got stuck in the sand and was not moving an inch which was a bit of a problem as we needed to get though. There were groups either side of the car wanting to get through but could not get through and after everyone trying to push it out we could not move it. We had to wait until the ranger came through and toad him out before we could get moving so then we finally got on to the beach and out of the middle of the island and we could go a bit quicker but as the tide was coming right in we could not get to where we wanted to reach so we headed inland got something to eat and waited for the tide to go out. After lunch we headed further up and inland where we saw another lake of which a name i can not remeber but it was nice and refreshing and had little fish swimming past ure legs in the water. After spending quite a long time up there we headed further up the island where we found a place to set up camp. We got a pretty gd spot and started to set up our tents before making dinner which was spagetti bolognase it was nice seeing all of the economy ingredients. we cracked open the beers and relaxed and played some games as one by one the group got smaller and people got drunker. Me, Billy and Harry decided to explore it was pitch black at this time so we walked down the beach and saw a light in the distance so we though it might be the 4th group as there were only 3 out of 4 at the beach front where we were. We walked for about a mile before we got quite close and then suddenly it started getting closer and closer and just drove straight pat us what a nightmare!!!! just walked a mile in the dark for nothing!! We walked back and on the way met up with both of the other groups first of all we said hello to the six irish lads 2 englih girls and 1 english guy who were really friendly and then after that we spoke to the other group who were our age and from oxford and cambridge!!!! They were really friendly as well. The people who were still awake and quite drink and most notible Mark the Manc. He was starting to speak all kinds of crap now so i headed off to speak to irish group as most of our group we asleep apart from billy and harry who were stuck with mark and some of the other group. The irish group had previously pretended they were going to sleep just to get mark to go away!!!!

I didnt hear him say it personally but harry and billy did. Mark went up to them and said right now im going to start messing with your heads by this time he had drunk 3 litres of wine that and a annoying manc dnt go well. Then he said he had a gun with him and he was going to wait until billy was asleep before he got him and all kinds of threats lovely stuff!!! Then after about hour of this billy and harry managed to get away and get to the group i was with. Mark at this time thought billy and harry were asleep and he bellyfloped the tent he thought they were in only to fall on a sleeping Giles LOL. This gave giles a right fright and he soon came over and joined us. He finnally started to get tired for a bit as he rested on the 4x4 this was when laura english and 3 irish blokes and me had some fun. We were all very merry and a bit bored so we got up and started to walk around the camp singing take that sond and r kelly i believe i can fly as loud as we could walking around each and every tent it was so funny!!! Most people saw the funny sides the ones that didnt just got more singing!!! Then mark came over pestering everyone for a lighter but they didnt wanna give him one so they sang him away it he didnt know what to do with people blairing take that in his face with dance moves and all!!! After that it settled down a bit but we had to sleep in the other groups tents as ours was now broken. So i was in a tent with 3 others which was very cosy indeed.

I was awoken at 6am feeling a little worse for ware after all drink and lack of sleep and staggered over to the back of the 4x4 so we could head off to Indian Head at this time everyone had found out how mark was and didnt want him in our group especially after findind put he hit Loius without reason!!! He was still drunk and was getting agressive with Rich telling us to drive him to the ferry port otherwise hed see red!! Some were scared but i just thought he was a complete idiot who was off his trolly funnily enough he never picked on me or said something bad to me as i was bigger than him. But we all refused and didnt wanna miss out on doing stuff just because of him so we headed up to indian head. The weather was quite appauling to be honesy absolutley lashing it down!!! We got there wasnt that impressive so we set off on the 6km round walk to Champagne Pools which were nice this was just infuriating mark even more by this stage!! Then after this we headed back down along the beach to Eli Creek and this was going to be are only chance to see it and it was raining so hard and i thought id regret it if i didnt so off the t shirt came and me, billy harry and malte all headed down the creek for a quick swim. It was an awesome experience and one i will never forget rainforest either side rain coming from all angles but none of us cared and we were having a wicked time!!! Then we headed back to the 4x4 very wet cold but happy we had done it!!! Then we drove back down the beach to drop the tosser that is mark off and thats being nice about him he was a real wierdo!!!! After that if gave the group a massive lift i think and noone was on edge anymore and everyone a bit happier!!!

After this we headed back up the beach to Lake Wabby my favourite place on the trip it was a massive lake with a 2.5km walk to get to it but oh it was worth it!!! It was the most spectacular backdrop. Next to the lake was a massive sand dune must have been 60 metres high and at about a 60 degree angle down it was incredibly steep and we entered the lake by charging down the hill as fast as we could with our body going faster than our legs could take us. It was a brilliant experince. Then i decided we should make it more interesting by placing 4 beers floating in the lake and the quickest ones down got them which was fun!!! It Was so warm as well and just great fun relaxing with everyone!!! After this we headed back to the 4x4 and decided to go and find a place to cook our BBQ me and giles managed to blag sleeping inside the 4x4 which i think everyone was a bit jealous of. We headed off to central station where we had lots of food and beer its never gone down so easily.

Then we headed back to the camp where we went and spent time with the other groups just messing around and drinking a lot of cans of beer!!!!

Then came the 3rd and final morning where we headed off at 6am again with me feeling even rougher this time back up the beach to see the shipwreck and then to rainbow gorge which was an amazing pattern of sands. Then it was back to the most popular attraction Lake Mckenzie even though i wanted to go back to Wabby which i was a bit miffed about to be honest. But Mckenzie was awsome just swimming in it for ages it was so nice!!!

Then We had to head back to the ferry to go of the island, i can say now it has been my best experience in australia so far and one ill remember for a long long time. After this we headed back to the hostel and checked everything off the list and waited to get our $60 bond back which we got back if everything was still in working order. Luckily we were the most organised and efficient group so everything was fine part from the broken tent which there charging physco mark for!! Then when we collected our bonds we found out we got to keep and share marks bond for our hassle so the drinks were on him without him knowing and they were oh so sweet. We must have bought 10 jugs and me and harry probabably drank 7 of them between us. Giles was even back on the drink which led to another eventful couple of hours and another classic game off pool where he couldnt even make contact with the white ball!!! Then after our group had left and tiredness had finally taken giles me and harry headed over to the irish group for another drinking session!!!! I ended up going to the bar and getting a massive funnel and like hosepipe which the irish lads managed to persuade me to down half a jug in one go which went straight to my head!!!!

Thats bout all for the mean time!!! Australia is still amazing and we are all loving it still. New Zealand in less than 2 weeks for me and harry which from what everyone has said is a lot better than Oz so i can not wait for that and to strt getting into all the adrenalin activities!!!

Please keep emailing me all your views and storys from back home. gd to hear from everyone!!!

Missing everyone loads

Lots of Love

Chaz x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb