Day3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 10th 2006
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise complete with dingoSunrise complete with dingoSunrise complete with dingo

Mark (the guide) said this was what Fraser is all about
Andy and I were up at 5am to sit on the beach and watch the sunrise, yet again. We were also joined by 4 other people from the camp. By 5.30am I had decided that it wasn't going to be all that good and went back to bed! Andy stayed on the beach. Whilst he was lying down taking a photo he felt something pulling on his flip flop. He turned around to find a dingo attached to his foot! He jumped up and backed off. The dingo started to yelp at him and then went and posed for a perfect picture before coming up to Andy again barking! At this point he decided to go back inside and boast to everyone of his encounter over breakfast. After showers we packed our things up and onto the bus for about 9.20am. Andy and I sat in the front cab.
Listening to the cool sountrack and chilling whilst driving along the beach.
We drove 60km up 75 mile beach to Indian Head (called that because when Capt. Cook found the island he saw aboriginals on top of the cliff. At this point all natives were called Indians, so that's where it gets it's name).
We walked up the rocks and the track to the top of the cliff. From here we saw some great views, but unfortunately not any marine life as it was quite wavey. On the way back down we collected some beautiful shells and we organised a group photo.

Our next stop was some coloured sands called the Pinnacles. There are 73 different shades of sand on the island.

Back in the bus to the Maheno ship wreck. This was grounded by the Japanese in the 1930's.
This was eerie and interesting to look at. It was a quick rush out of the bus to try and get a photo of it without people in it.

The third stop of the day was Eli Creek. This is a fresh water creek that pumps out 90 million litres of water a day into the sea! The idea is to get in the creek at the top (very cold) and float down with the current. It was very peacful and relaxing once you get away from the groups. Though we did see a couple of big eels in there, but that didn't put us off.

Last stop of the afternoon was at camp to have a quick lunch and leave by 1.30pm. We started on the long drive back to Noosa. Back at the hostel we got our post from The Henry-Edwards (THANKS!) including my book I won ready for South East Asia!
After getting settled yet again in the hostel we met up with Sean and Emma and we headed to Woolys for some nibbles to go with our left over goon.
We sat outside at the bar for a drink, dad called me which was great, then we went and sat in their room and on their balcony chatting until gone midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The groupThe group
The group

Multi cultural - Danes, Italians, Dutch, English, Germans
Maheno ShipwreckMaheno Shipwreck
Maheno Shipwreck

This was bought by the Japenese in the 1930's for scrap metal. As they towed it away it started to fall apart so the run it aground on Fraser Island.


Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 23; qc: 129; dbt: 0.2764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb