4DW Safari on Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 6th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone,

We travelled from Brisbane to a place called Rainbow beach, this was our departure point to go on our 4WD tour to Fraser Island. The day before we went on the safari we met our groups. There were 2 jeeps travelling with 7 people in each one. Oue jeep was filled with myself, Laurie and Liam and 4 other Irish people ( I know what you're thinking, where would we store all the drink!!!). The Irish people are from Clare and are 2 couples called David and Sinead and Dec and Tina. In the other jeep were 2 English girls, Rachel and Debs, a Canadian guy called Mike, a Swedish guy called Simon, an American couple called Heather and Alex (nicknamed Asslicks after he spelled his name wrong!) and Sam the Australian. We all got on great from the start, everyone was in high spirits and really looking forward to the trip. Dec and Tina were appointed our designated drivers. We went on a big shopping spree for all of us and met up for dinner and drinks that night to get to know each other better.
The next morning we packed the jeep with our food, camping gear and eskies (for those Irish people cooler boxes!) and off we went. Fraser Island is the largest sand Island in the world and has something like 70 different types of sand, driving on it was a nightmare but a great laugh. The first day we went to a lake called Lake Allem, in the water here we saw little baby turtles popping their heads up next to us! We decided to camp here for the night and set up our tents. After cooking by flashlight we settled down on a bench to spend the night having a few beers and playing some crazy drinking games to keep our minds off how unbelievably dark it was! The stars were amazing though, really clear so we could see them all. After a few drinks we happily stumbled into our tents and didn't mind the hard floor so much!
The next day we started out early and headed to Indian Head where there were amazing views of the Island, some people even saw sharks in the water! From here we headed to a creek where we got to chill out in the refreshing fresh water (Liam drank some but myself and Laurie refused cos we were all standing in it, yuck!). After this we took a trip to the magnificent Lake Mc Kenzie, its a beautiful lake with the whitest sand I've ever seen! Sadly it started raining so we headed to the beach to set up camp for the night and decided to take another trip back there in the morning. That night we strolled along the beach (in the pitch black!) and went to the only pub on the island to chat about our days adventures. When we headed back to the camp and were on our way into our tents for the night we discovered that the tents were surrounded by a pack of dingos! We all had to stand there shouting "DINGO" at the top of our lungs (that's what it said in the sagety video) and flash our torch on them to go away!
On our final day we headed to Lake Mc Kenzie again. Our travel rep had told us that if you wash your teeth with the sand here it cleans them really well and they'll be sparkling white cos the sand is so fine, a few people tried it...I didn't see any difference to be honest! They were just left with a mouthful of sand!
We arrived back alive and well to Rainbow beach but I think we're still finding sand everywhere! It was a great trip and we had such a nice bunch of people. We all exchanged emails and phone numbers and decided to meet up on a few of our next stops up the coast. After saying our goodbyes and a good nights sleep we were ready to set off!
Well that's all for now,
Take care,
Lots of love,
Laura, Laurie and Liam xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Liam and Laura at Indian HeadLiam and Laura at Indian Head
Liam and Laura at Indian Head

Liams hair is all over the place!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb