Elliott Heads & Coral Cove


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Elliott Heads
August 13th 2011
Published: August 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 13th Aug
Today we decided to go for a drive and find somewhere nice to have a sausage sizzle for lunch.
We first headed to Elliott Heads - great swimming beach then drove down to Coral Cove where the town is built around a lovely golf course and found a beach where they go scubba diving just of the beach (I guess that is why the place is called Coral Cove!!!!!). Then drove further on along the beach and spotted a lovely park just out of Coral Cove with BBQ's but they both had big crowds using them so we just took out our portable BBQ and set it up near a table over looking the ocean and had our sausage sizzle. It was a little windy and cool but the sausages were just great.
We were told to check out "Tinaberries" strawberry farm and found it on the Elliott Heads road and called in and bought 3 trays of strawberries - 2 trays of seconds ($12) for ouselves and a tray of Premium ($13) for our nieghbours (Des & Gwen) who have been very helpful in helping to fix a leak we had in our water connection and also giving John two sample bottles of whiskey made by their son. These stawberries are the sweetest we have ever tasted. Most of the strawberries you find at the supermarket these days are picked way too early and can be very sour, but these were picked when ripe and they were just fantastic. We ate nearly all of one tray as soon as we bought them while we were driving. We could not stop eating them as they were so nice.
Bundaberg and surrounding areas seems to grow just about any sort of food crop - Sugar cane is of course the main crop but many farms also grow a varity of other crops - Macadamia nuts, avacados, bananas, tomatoes, strawberries and a lot of vegetable as well as pineapples etc etc.
We also called into Mon Repos Turtle Rookery but of course it is the wrong time of the year to see the turtles nesting (this happens in Dec) but saw the beach where Bert Hinkler made his first short flight with his home made glider.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb