Botanic Gardens and Hinkler Hall of Aviation, Bundaberg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
August 11th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 11th August
Today we decided to visit the Botanic Gardens which included the Hinkler Aviation Museum and Fairymead House.
The Hinkler Museum was just amazing - Bert Hinkler was born in Bundaberg and was interested in flying from a very early age. He built (in his parents shed) and flew his first glider (on a Bundaberg beach) just a couple of years after the Wright Brothers did their first flight. In 1928 he flew solo from England to Bundaberg, which took 15 days. John is in the photo of a replica of the plane he did this flight in. He was a very clever man inventing many things but unfortunatley he died in a plane crash in 1933 aged 40yrs. I don't think we realise how many very clever pioneers we had in this country.
The toilets at the museum were very interesting - the wash basin was outside, which is a great idea.
We also visited Fairymead house, which was once owned by the Young family (pioneer sugar cane farming family) which was cut into 5 pieces and trasported to the site it is now on in the gardens. A beautiful old queenslander, polished floors, huge wide verandahs etc - just beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb