The Town of 1770 and Agnes Water


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
August 6th 2011
Published: August 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friday 5th August
Today we went to the movies to see the movie "Red Dog" - a movie about a red Kelpie who adopted the town of Dampier and it's people and united the town. The movie made us think of Robby Dog (Geoff's dog who now has gone to heaven). It is a good aussie movie with a lot of laugh's and a few tears.
We then had lunch at the "Brothers Club" - the meals at these clubs are very good value for money.
A main meal for around $10 each, of course they have a huge poker machine room - it looked like a Las Vagas room with all the sparkling lights everywhere and there were quite a few people playing the machines and of course this helps pay for the cheap meals.
Saturday 6th August
We were told the town of 1770 (which we had never heard off) was a great place to visit.
It was 128klms north of Bundaberg and while we were driving there (there was nothing to see on the way except farm land and a national park) we thought why are we driving all this way just to see a beach but when we arrived we were very impressed. It is a hidden tropical hideaway as you will see from the photo's. It's beach was just beautiful with the tropical bush coming right down to the beach in the background.
The caravan park was right on the beach, was very cramped and very full, but a spectacular setting. We had lunch at the Beach Hotel which overlooks Bustard Bay.
The Endeavour anchored in Bustard Bay on 24 May 1770 - Captain Cooks first landing in Queensland.
We then called into the neigbouring town of Anges Water and wondered why there seemed to be a lot of backpackers around then we found the beach was a great surfing beach - so the backpackers knew about this place which we did not know about.
Sunday 6th August
Today we went for a drive to Coonarr, about 20minutes from the caravan park and we found a lovely sandy beach, we took our lunch today and had it on the beach then took a long walk along the beach.
Queenland does not have many sandy beach's so we enjoyed it while we could.
Thought I should take some photos of the sugar cane crops.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb