Unique Eulo S/W QLD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cunnamulla
September 20th 2013
Published: October 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Charleville to Eulo

Travelled 270kms from Charleville to Eulo and camped a km out of town on the Paroo River.

What a delightful little town, of only 50 people, the salt of the earth they are. They welcome travellers and have a lovely free camp spot by the Paroo River. We rested up here 4 nights after being in the big smoke of Charleville where the population climbs above 3000. Not sure if you'll ever be able to get us back on the East Coast folks, all a bit too hectic for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Main StreetMain Street
Main Street

Of course there is a woman with a stock whip moving the cattle along the main street of Eulo.
Bridge Over ParooBridge Over Paroo
Bridge Over Paroo

Built in 1928. I must be getting old because I don't think 1928 was that long ago and it certainly doesn't need to make a heritage listing. Quite lovely though.
Our CampOur Camp
Our Camp

Right on the river, close for fishing, yabbying and swimming Lil. I must say, yabbies are delicious, much the same as lobster.
Early MorningEarly Morning
Early Morning

It really was a joy to rise early. The reflections were simply stunning.
MoreMore
More

The Red River Gums and root systems were pretty too.
Day TimeDay Time
Day Time

After the sun comes up, this is the colour of the river....as expected I didn't swim.
Bike RideBike Ride
Bike Ride

You can see the size of the River Gums, Dave is under one branch on his bike.
Lizard CountryLizard Country
Lizard Country

So they say...we only saw a few skinks.
Lizard RacesLizard Races
Lizard Races

This is the race track for Lizard Races held on an annual basis. Apparently they get up to 5000 people here. Also the bore drill. Bore water is used for the town supply. Lovely clean and fresh.
Eulo Queen Opal CentreEulo Queen Opal Centre
Eulo Queen Opal Centre

Isobel Gray was the publican and prostitute in 1889 and became known as the Eulo Queen. The pub is also named after her. Eulo is central to the Opal fields in S/W Qld.
Conglomerate RocksConglomerate Rocks
Conglomerate Rocks

We met this old timer, opal miner who showed us his latest find. The opals have been compressed into these conglomerate rocks.
StunningStunning
Stunning

I love the earthy look, the flash of colour and the patterns it makes. Very different to opals of Lightning Ridge.
Compressed Egg (Yowah Nut)Compressed Egg (Yowah Nut)
Compressed Egg (Yowah Nut)

Here's one worth $10 000. I love it. Yowah Nuts funnily enough come from the Yowah Opal Fields, about 85km by road NW of Eulo.
Boulder OpalBoulder Opal
Boulder Opal

These forms of opals are only found in this part of the world.
Eulo HoneyEulo Honey
Eulo Honey

Just another source of livelihood.
Date FarmDate Farm
Date Farm

Date Wine; Date Liqueur; Fig, Ginger & Date Paste all good. Sorry I have none left for you to try. They also ran Artesian Mud Baths where you can look out at the sunset, have a glass of wine and nibbles.
Red Winged ParrotRed Winged Parrot
Red Winged Parrot

Gorgeous colours. This one is a juvenile, with some green feathers still among the red.
Reality CheckReality Check
Reality Check

Happy to leave the heat and dust behind.


12th October 2013

Eulo
Great photos once again .

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb