Carnarvon Gorge QLD: A Pilgrimage


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Carnarvon Gorge
August 5th 2013
Published: August 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Walking part or all of Carnarvon Gorge seems to be a pilgrimage for Grey Nomads, aged between 50 and 80, travelling mostly in pairs with water, a packed lunch, a broad brimmed hat and a stick. Only occasionally a single male or female was spotted. (It was rare to find young back packers on the track.) You could hear their mental chatter, "We've finished working our butts off and now, here we a... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Wall, Their CanvasThe Wall, Their Canvas
The Wall, Their Canvas

This was quite a hot place and would have been great for the aboriginals during cold winter months.
Ward's CanyonWard's Canyon
Ward's Canyon

Another side trek took us up many more steps to a most delightful small gorge.
Fresh WaterFresh Water
Fresh Water

This gorge is a cool as a fridge and with fresh water available the aboriginals would spend Summer months here and stored their kangaroo furs and meat here.
Just AwesomeJust Awesome
Just Awesome

Beautiful ferns cling to the side.
Colourful Creek BedColourful Creek Bed
Colourful Creek Bed

This dropped into a small waterfall taking us back to the main track.
Heading to the AmphitheatreHeading to the Amphitheatre
Heading to the Amphitheatre

We walked into that track in the background.
The LadderThe Ladder
The Ladder

Last leg into the Amphitheatre required us scaling a 15m ladder. Fine for Dave who is use to walking on scaffolding but a challenge for me as I have a fear of heights. It was that see through flooring. Slow and steady, I got there.
We're InWe're In
We're In

Through the crack and into a spectacular cavern, where soft sandstone was eroded away to create this hidden chamber. Dave used the acoustics to his advantage as he recited "The Man From Ironbark".
Looking UpLooking Up
Looking Up

This would act like a washing machine in a flood and vegetation would be ripped out and washed away.
Finally BackFinally Back
Finally Back

Back at the Tourist Information Centre and parkland the kangaroos were so gorgeous.
JoeyJoey
Joey

I had been "training" to be able to manage this hike and was as jealous as hell that Dave seemed to just go on walkabout without any struggle. He refused to tell me until we got to the car, knee, ankle and back stuffed. Then the complaining started. Now he thinks he might start to "train" with me.
What an Experience!What an Experience!
What an Experience!

We had to travel 100kms from Rolleston, each way, a day to explore Carnarvon. It was the closest place available where people could mind Lilly. The friendly caravan park owners do this all the time. We took 2 days to walk just over 20kms. Walking is a most fulfilling way to travel. It fills my senses. However, we didn't complete the final leg. There are 3 more spots further up the gorge to conquer next time. You never know we may even be set up for an overnight camp at Big Bend. What we did accomplish, suited our fitness level and was a fantastic experience. If you are into that sort of thing, it is a must do.



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb