Rockin' Round Rolleston QLD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Emerald
July 26th 2013
Published: August 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sapphire to Rolleston


Roll In; Roll OutRoll In; Roll OutRoll In; Roll Out

The caravan park was amusing to observe. Every day the park was chock a block by sunset and by 8am they were gone. These Grey Nomads are in such a hurry.
Travelled back East into Emerald 50kms then south 130kms to Rolleston. Dave travelled 600kms to Toowoomba for a few days on family business while I stayed in the caravan park and caught up on some much needed cleaning after 41 nights bush camping. My how the dust gets in. Grit in grooves I never new existed. Adored the long hot showers, running water and flicking power on with no thought as to where it's coming from, even though the amenities were basic and could do with an upgrade. I love bush camping but coming back to a caravan park is pure luxury. This lifestyle really makes you appreciate the little things.

Rolleston is really a stop over spot for truckies and grey nomads. There is nothing much there, a pub, PO, agriculture store and Petrol Station come general store, with a population of 200. You really need to go out on day drives to see anything of merit. It is an area of coal mines and is full of mining blokes in their trucks and utes. Many of the cabins in the park are used by these workers. Girls, if you are looking for a man's man, this is the
Fresh GrassFresh GrassFresh Grass

A visitor to the park. It is so dry around Rolleston, the kangaroos love the watered grass.
place to find one. I liked to walk 5kms per day and was often asked if I'd like a lift. They were very helpful, making sure I was alright, but I was happy to walk.

By the time Dave was back from Toowoomba and we had taken our day drives, including Carnarvon Gorge, we were there just over 2 weeks. The managers of the park thought we'd never leave. They'd not had tourists stay with them that long. You can see what I mean by the first pic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SpringsureSpringsure
Springsure

A day drive. Named by Leichhardt in 1884, due to permanent springs in the area. Later wagon teams would camp here on the way from Rockhampton to the Gulf.
1884 Old Station Slab Building1884 Old Station Slab Building
1884 Old Station Slab Building

Was used for cooking and housing until the new Minerva homestead was built in 1979.
100 year old slab hut100 year old slab hut
100 year old slab hut

Slabs were prepared with broad axe and the hut was constructed by hand.
Built 1935; 60ft WindmillBuilt 1935; 60ft Windmill
Built 1935; 60ft Windmill

Pumps 8200 gallons per day, at wind speeds of 3 kms per hour. Will withstand storms of 150kms per hour.
Virgin RockVirgin Rock
Virgin Rock

On the left side is a weathered likeness to the Virgin Mary holding her child. Springsure was known as the Holy City and no wagons were allowed through the town from sundown Saturday evening to sunrise Monday morning.
Lookout Above and Car Park BelowLookout Above and Car Park Below
Lookout Above and Car Park Below

We drove up to the lookout and were able to see the car park below. It was a 4wd exploration, heaps of sharp pointy Basalt. We were concerned for our new tyres as we had just spent over $1000 on them. All was well though and Lone Ranger got us there.
Eclipse Gap LookoutEclipse Gap Lookout
Eclipse Gap Lookout

We made it. Minerva Hills National Park. We took Lil on this trip and only saw one other vehicle.
Lone RangerLone Ranger
Lone Ranger

In 1959, Henry Dendle built the road with his own equipment as a volunteer. We thank him. It's a great drive.
Zamia Palm or MacrozamiaZamia Palm or Macrozamia
Zamia Palm or Macrozamia

Zamia Mountain is named so, due to the growth of these palms. They grow up to 8m and can live up to 400 years.
1861; 19 people killed1861; 19 people killed
1861; 19 people killed

Local Aboriginal tribe massacred 10 men, 2 women and 7 children while they rested by the creek in the late afternoon.
Tiger SnakeTiger Snake
Tiger Snake

It was slithering across the road. It's length was definitely wider than the car when it was stretched out. We think about 7ft.
Mt Big St PeterMt Big St Peter
Mt Big St Peter

Largest volcanic plug in the range. 330m high and 800m long.
Minerva HillsMinerva Hills
Minerva Hills

Remnants of volcanic disturbances 30 million years ago. Stunning today. We also visited Carnarvon Gorge from Rolleston and that will be in the next blog.


12th November 2014
Tiger Snake

Not a Tiger Snake
I came across this image while researching the population of Tiger Snakes that occurs in Carnarvon Gorge. The snake in your photo isn't even a venomous snake - it's just a harmless Black-headed Python. Tiger Snakes are typically about a quarter of the size of this and don't occur in the dry, hot areas in the Bowen Basin.
15th July 2015
Tiger Snake

Good to Know
Thanks for the information.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb