Character of Central QLD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Longreach
August 13th 2013
Published: September 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Emerald to Longreach

Travelling 420km West from Emerald to Longreach over a month. Alpha, Jericho, Barcaldine, Ilfracombe, Longreach.

Dry, dusty and nothing there. So many people believe this to be true. You only need to open your eyes, ears and spend some time, to find the character of Outback Central QLD. Whether it's the waterholes, with it's abundant wildlife; or in the small towns, with pubs and down to earth people; or in the flat, dry plains; Central QLD has a personality. Like anyone, her personality can be irritating and/or awesome and has the ability to evoke a range of emotions within the traveller. Dave and I have had time on our side and luckily have been able experience this.


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Grey Nomads, a strange lot.Grey Nomads, a strange lot.
Grey Nomads, a strange lot.

We head North again to Emerald to join the band of Grey Nomads, who congregate in cramped conditions under the railway bridge. It is extremely noisy as the main highway borders the other side. We are here for one night only, to gather supplies, before the journey West.
Alpha- A Lunch StopAlpha- A Lunch Stop
Alpha- A Lunch Stop

Alpha is known as "The Gateway to the West" and was once just a property in 1863. The Fossilised Forest of Alpha Sculpture, depicts petrified wood representing the strength of the community.
Alpha the Town of MuralsAlpha the Town of Murals
Alpha the Town of Murals

They have 25 murals depicting the local history in this tiny town with a population of 300. Local artists began this after the 1990 flood where 2 m of water hit the town. After the clean up they decided to brighten up the place.
JerichoJericho
Jericho

Located between Emerald and Barcaldine it was once a railway settlement from 1885.
The Smallest Drive-InThe Smallest Drive-In
The Smallest Drive-In

Jericho has the smallest Drive-In in the Southern Hemisphere. It holds 36 cars and operates once a month. It would have been fun to treat our car "Lonie Ranger" to the movie "The Lone Ranger" but it was showing on the 24th and we had left before then.
Crystal Trumpeters SculptureCrystal Trumpeters Sculpture
Crystal Trumpeters Sculpture

Based on the biblical town of Jericho when the trumpeters marched through the city walls and destroyed the town. Also murals by local artists and historical machinery are dotted about.
Jordan CreekJordan Creek
Jordan Creek

Redbank Park is the camp spot for us.
Our ViewOur View
Our View

Camped up the end and away from everyone we were able to enjoy our alfresco meals and a few vinos.
CormorantCormorant
Cormorant

We'd watch the Cormorants feed.
Swim for LilSwim for Lil
Swim for Lil

Cool off the puppy, even though the water was filthy, the animals loved it.
Apostle BirdsApostle Birds
Apostle Birds

On the River Jordan....so the theme continues.
River WalkRiver Walk
River Walk

I'd do a 4 km loop each day. I found the dry river bed very attractive.
On the WalkOn the Walk
On the Walk

Paddocks are often dumping grounds for old machinery. I love the charm of rusted old tractors.
Morning RitualMorning Ritual
Morning Ritual

Each morning from 9am the Galahs would flock by the hundreds to a particular tree in the park and face the road.
9.30 am Daily9.30 am Daily
9.30 am Daily

At 9.30am Bill the Bird Man, (as I like to call him) hobbles down the road, using a shopping trolley as a walker and the birds fly to meet him.
Feed TimeFeed Time
Feed Time

Bill has lived here for 27 years and fed his birds every day. His daughter wants him to move to Melbourne and live with her, but he can't leave his birds.
Bill's Modest HomeBill's Modest Home
Bill's Modest Home

He's got all he needs, he says. Good on him!
BarcaldineBarcaldine
Barcaldine

..... or affectionately called Barky by the locals. 1600 population in this town but still not big enough to give us phone service. Named by one of the first settlers, a Scott who was a direct descendant from Barcaldine Castle in Scotland. 5 hotels line the main street, all over 100 years old and great for a pub crawl to discover the social fabric of the town.
Tree of KnowledgeTree of Knowledge
Tree of Knowledge

A Ghost Gum that grew outside the railway station and was an inspiration to striking shearers during the Great Shearer's Strike in 1891. It grew for 180 years before it was poisoned and this life like monument was constructed.
3449 Timbers3449 Timbers
3449 Timbers

The hanging timbers represent the amount of leaf foliage the tree would have had during the Shearer's Strike 1891. The original tree and roots are preserved in this monument.
A Symbol of "A Fair Go"A Symbol of "A Fair Go"
A Symbol of "A Fair Go"

Giving the common man a voice was the springboard for Unionism and the ALP.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb