A culture that is largely unrecognized.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
September 17th 2013
Published: September 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A culture that is largely unrecognized.Thursday Island and the Torres Strait islands are so rich in culture and custom. It's part of Queensland yet we know so little about it. It's a bit of a united nations with Aboriginal, islander, Polynesian, Melanesian, Malaysian and Japanese influences. The features of a Thursday islander are finer than the aboriginal Australian. Yet you go further north you can see where the races mix and the less distinctive features of each race as they meld together.

We took the cat from Seisia to TI and did a bus tour of the town. TI was a strategic location for our country and as a result a fort with Gun Emplacements was built on Green Hill at the back of the township. It is still in really good nick and the big guns are still there only having once fired in anger when a ship failed to show his colours.

EvEn though it's Queensland I identify it more like Vanuatu or New Caledonia.

After the fort the bus tour took us to Various location around town stopping at places like the schools, churches, the Top Pub the most northern hotel. We spent sow time at the cemetery where there were hundreds of graves of JApanese pearl Divers.

The bus tour finished so we were left to our own devices. The pub for lunch and then a walk up main street before heading to the arts and cultural exhibition centre. The art and custom craft were exquisitely fine. There were some of the best screen prints, pencils drawings and Lino block prints I had ever seen. They favour greens and blues throughout the islands .

It was really a short trip and we came back to camp.
A quiet night pretty much So we didn't really venture out before bed. Just relaxed around the campsite and went to the restaurant for really superb pizza.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb