The Tip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
July 15th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We set up camp at Loyalty Beach, a lovely camping spot outside Seisia. After getting the vehicles rear bars fixed, we headed to the tip a 40 minute drive through dry bush and a lush rainforest. We stopped for the obligatory stop at The Croc Tent, purchasing various souvenirs, and then eagerly headed north.

We took the easy path there, along the beach then climbed the headland; a steep, rocky climb that was fun with an almost five and a just two year old but so worth it. This part of Australia is harsh, rugged and steep but absolutely breath-taking with 300 degree views. We all stood for the group shot at the tip before we headed back over the headland towards the car park. The return journey was longer but provided fantastic views over the eastern coast, if you could stand still long enough in the almost gale force winds. Al took Lorelei on ahead while I took far too many photos not knowing when I will get back there. It was a slow walk back, up, down and around escarpments and rock piles.

Once at the bottom Dave and Al set up the cars for gratuitous vehicle
Punsund BayPunsund BayPunsund Bay

The view heading up from the western side
shots to prove that they made it to the tip before we headed back to camp. After 12 months of planning and far too many $$$ spent on the cars and trailers we have finally made it. It is well worth the trip and one I hope to repeat sooner rather than later.

Tomorrow we head out of mobile range again as we head back across the Jardine for Captain Billy’s Landing. By all accounts this is a beautiful little beach camping location with great fishing. Unfortunately all we have heard from fellow travellers is that the Eastern coast is very, very windy at the moment. The weather here will dictate wether we head from there to Chilli Beach or Lockhart River or perhaps give up on the coast and head further inland. Our plan at this stage is to be back in Cairns by next Thursday for a few nights rest before we make our unenthusiastic way home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

LoreleiLorelei
Lorelei

For a change, Lorelei is posing.
Finally made itFinally made it
Finally made it

Everyone at the tip
The KidsThe Kids
The Kids

Holding on to the pole so they don't blow away
The Eastern SideThe Eastern Side
The Eastern Side

Views to the east
Cairns at the tipCairns at the tip
Cairns at the tip

One of the many piles at the top. This one sported a maroons flag. I'm guessing it went up very recently.
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

The top of the tip. Those ants down there are people posing at the sign.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb