OTL - Day Three


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
July 13th 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Canal CreekCanal CreekCanal Creek

Beautiful
The next morning we made our way back to Twin Falls and Elliot Falls which were well worth the effort. Lorelei again enjoyed a swim, this time with Toni, Mitchell, Dave and Stephen. We reluctantly left to tackle the last 26 kms of the track which included the dreaded Nolan’s Brook and five other water crossings.

Al and Dave took the difficult line out of Canal Creek choosing to avoid a little mud. Although tricky it proved no problem for these two men. The next few crossings were all fairly shallow but required careful planning of the steep entrances and exits. Crossing the log bridge at Cypress Creek was fairly uneventful even with the trailers. Thankfully we only looked under the bridge after we had crossed otherwise we may have reconsidered. We were starting to think even then that going back was not going to be a fun option if we couldn’t cross Nolan’s. Then we hit the rocks. At an average speed of 5 kms travelling the 19kms to Nolan’s was not fun. When we met vehicles coming back after deciding not to take Nolan’s we started to get concerned but pushed on.


We arrived at a
Twin FallsTwin FallsTwin Falls

Swimming at Twin Falls
ford crossing that isn’t named and decided it was time for the attractive car bras to go on. With water at Steve’s hip we needed to carefully plan our way through. The shallowest path required some stump removal by the boys before it wiped out our jerry cans. When we dropped into the mud at the bottom I wasn’t sure that we were going to make it but Al found the bottom and we eventually got through. Dave followed, checking for water at the other side.

Finally we arrived at Nolan’s, determined not to go back after the long trip up. Unfortunately it was at the same time as a group coming the other way that had difficulties making decisions about what they were going to do. It was getting late in the afternoon and we wanted to make it to Loyalty Beach that day so we all watched the line they took to make our crossing easier. The crossing was deep but the brook had dropped substantially in the last 48 hours which made it much easier for us. We were very pleased with our timing at this point as a week earlier we may well have had
The FordThe FordThe Ford

An unnamed crossing
to turn around. Al glided through but Dave took a slightly different line which meant he made the crossing look difficult and for some hearts to skip a beat.

From here we cruised on to the Jardine River Ferry and on to Loyalty Beach where we planned to spend a few days and make our way to the tip. Both vehicles suffered damage on the track. Dave bent his rear bar and quarter panel when his wheel fell into a deep rut when we pulled over for oncoming traffic. Both vehicles had a striker falling off our rear bars. The welder that fixed these in Seisia has only done 6 already this month and 30 this season for our brand of bars.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Nolan's BrookNolan's Brook
Nolan's Brook

The picturesque but deadly Nolan's Brook. This is one of the vehicles coming south, we went the other way through it.
Mitchell at JardineMitchell at Jardine
Mitchell at Jardine

Waiting at the ferry, Mitchell's cheeky smile
Lorelei at JardineLorelei at Jardine
Lorelei at Jardine

Lorelei's 'smile' at the ferry.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb