Weipa and Lockhart River


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The following day we traveled out to Weipa the road greatly improving due to its up-keep by the Comalco mine. We joined a mine tour the following day through the bauxite mining process (which involves taking off the top soil, loading 1-9 metres of ore into trucks and then onto ships finishing with land rehabilitation that somehow overcomes a decline in altitude of up to 9m) and took plenty of photos of huge trucks (belly-dumpers) and other machinery. That night we were treated to mining-town locals at their best (admittedly it was state-of-origin) involving plenty of loud males bellowing but a great night never-the-less and after a good first half by NSW and plenty of cheering by JA going home with tail between legs.

Keen for some fishing we decided to take a few days at the mouth of the Penefather River (60km north of Weipa) a beautiful spot, teeming with life including two crocs patrolling the river mouth. There we caught bream and Jack caught a trevally (I certainly fed more fish than I caught and they weren’t exactly stunners but we ate them anyway) and this combined with the beautiful sunsets made this another highlight of our trip.

Our next leg took us to Lockhart River and Iron Range NP on the east coast of Cape York. Iron Range is rainforest similar to the Daintree and PNG but very isolated. On the way out we camped at a beautiful spot down by the Wenlock River, surrounded by tall gums and just enough space for one camp, giving it the feel that we were the only people for miles.

Lockhart River Aboriginal Community gave me an excellent insight into community life. My aim was to refill the gas bottle and I was resigned to the fact that it may take all morning. So I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it all went. First you have to go to the community council office to pay for the gas, which I did but do they have the gas there? Of course not, so I paid and politely asked who would fill the gas, “Paul” replied the bored lady behind the desk. Right, well where might I find Paul? “Dunno, he drove off down that way about half an hour ago” pointing down one of the three roads in Lockhart. I waited there another five minutes and seeing
Weipa SunsetWeipa SunsetWeipa Sunset

From our campsite
that I wasn’t going to go away, she said, “If you just drive down there you’ll see him, he’s got brown hair and he’s in a old white ute, show him your receipt and he’ll fill it up”, just as I was contemplating that excellent description someone from one of the back offices yells “There he is! In that backhoe, follow that backhoe”, so racing down the stairs with receipt in hand we chased down the backhoe and followed Paul back to his shed. With lit cigarette dangling from his mouth, he cheerfully filled our gas bottle while we stood 500 metres away waiting for the whole place to go up. In all that little exercise was completed in under an hour so it was on to the art gallery, which had some well renowned artists and some amazing artwork (>$3000). Whilst perusing the art, we overheard a pompous art dealer, presumably from the city, arguing with the fellow behind the desk about why they did not accept American express.

The road back out of Lockhart River was a little damp and much to my anxiety and Jack’s excitement, a fair bit of mud-bashing ensued. So, with a filthy, mud-splattered truck we arrived in Coen, staying with Bruce once more before setting off for Cairns and my sister’s wedding.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb