Waterfalls, Creeks and Boulders


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 24th 2015
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After a restful, sometimes sunny and sometimes damp couple of days at Mission Beach, we headed back to Cairns for the weekend with our son and his family.

About 60 kilometres south of Cairns, there's a turnoff to Josephine Falls. It's a few years since we've been there so we turned off the highway and headed 20 kms towards the mountain. There was the inevitable backpacker bus in the car park. The walk to the Falls was 700 metres through beautiful dense and cool rainforest, tall trees, a little bubbling creek beside the path. We passed several backpackers and at the bottom pool, there were quite a few swimming and clambering over the rocks and rushing water (obviously not thinking 'broken legs' as I was!).

The path continued alongside the waterfall with lookouts at various spots to the top. I think last time we were there, it was in drought time, this time the water was torrential.

We continued back on the highway about another 10 kms until we saw another turnoff, 'Babinda Boulders'. This was new to us, so we once more turned off the highway, drove through the town of Babinda to the end of the road and a carpark. We parked and walked across the grassy picnic area to the edge of the water - Babinda Creek. The water was so clear, every leaf and stone could be seen, the water was edged in rainforest and to the left and the right water was bubbling over rocks.

We read that both the Josephine Falls and Babinda Creek begin as trickles at Mt. Bartle Frere, Queensland's tallest mountain.

We booked into our caravan park and then drove into Cairns for a look around the waterfront. The pool was a surprise, absolutely packed! This hot, humid day has brought everyone out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb