Up Tully Gorge


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Golden GumbootThe Golden GumbootThe Golden Gumboot

for the wettest town in Australia
We left Cairns in drizzling rain and took the Canecutters' Way, a pretty, quieter road, until we reached the turn off to North Mission Beach where we once again set up at the caravan park.

Today wasn't a good beach day, grey and cloudy, so we decided a return visit to Tully Gorge was a good way to spend the day. Tully is the wettest town in Australia and it didn't disappoint, it was raining when we got there. We took the usual photo of the large Golden Gumboot, complete with green frog, and the large sugar mill in town, then drove towards the Gorge. The inevitable sugar cane lined each side of the road, with the occasional cattle grazing and then hectares and hectares of banana plantation for quite a few kilometres.

Glimpses of the river showed the it running swiftly and, in places, rocks and rapids. We passed a bus full of adventurers about to ride the rapids. We parked in a pullout that looked over part of the river, as I took some photos of the river, along came a couple of rubber dinghies each carrying about 8 rowers clad in safety helmets. They waved and waited while I took their photo, I turned away and a call came from the river 'take our photo', it was yet another boat. They were having a great time, I watched them as they reached the rougher water, though I think it was even rougher around the bend of the river.

We had lunch in the motor home with a view of the rapids and another eight boats in all came down the river. I was talking to the organisers as they were collecting boats and loading passengers into their bus and asked did they ever tip over. Yes, of course, that's all part of the fun. We finished our day driving to the coast to Tully Head and Hull Head, quite pretty where the river runs to the sea.

We are going back to Cairns on Friday for a couple of nights to spend some time with N&L and the little girls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hull Head Hull Head
Hull Head

where the river runs to the sea


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb