5 Great Mates, A Van, A Lot Of Beer And A Very Long Drive


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 5th 2012
Published: July 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In October 2011 myself and 4 of my friends travelled from Cairns to Byron Bay . As a result of comparing prices on the internet we identified the britz family 5 man and resolved to go for it mainly because it seats 5 individuals and ended up being really cheap, and so we all stopped in and grabbed the van in Cairns via Brad who is a rather amusing guy who gives excellent service. We instantly gave him a new moniker as a result of his thin appearance.



On the first day all of us pulled in at Mission Beach for that evening and made our way to Scotty’s backpackers for just a quiet drink that turned into mayhem and included stumbling back to the van around 4am... Luckily we setup the mattresses beforehand. The actual Camperman sleeps up to 3 within the vehicle and a couple in a 2 man camping tent that is good for us since it held the price down. We eventually woke up the next morning around 10 since we needed to make tracks to Townsville to catch a ferry over to Magnetic Island for some sort of full moon get together at Coconuts backpackers and I say to u it is a must do. It continued for a very long time, and what a spot - right on the actual shoreline. We then awakened within the van feeling extremely ill I have to admit, we spoke with the local people so they advised us to try Alma Bay for a frolic in the water, which all of us did and this appeared to be a wonderful hangover cure, aqua water devoid ofstingers : )



We decided to make our way to Nelly Bay for that night where we found a energized site next to could you believe another Camperman with 3 girls inside!! We overcame our shyness rather easily and welcomed all of them for supper. We were treated to a BBQ and compared notes because they were travelling north, then proceeded to go back to the motor home for a game of cards plus some beverages. The next day we were right up and on the road to the Whitsundays (may I declare cashed up from defeating the girls at Pontoon).



five hours after we all were in Airlie Beach awaiting our sailing excursion for 2 days & 2 nights. After having a quiet night we boarded the yacht Emma Peel that is an older boat although massive and comfy and was a fun time in particular Whitehaven Beach (lovely hot tub on deck too). Thank you very much to the crew these folks were a lot of fun, yet another major hangover with no time for you to rest we all chose to hop back into the van, only to discover we'd misplaced the keys someplace on the boat trip, we rang the rental office in Cairns and explained to the man on the phone the situation and with no fuss he had a different key cut for us in the hour, and we were back on the highway.



Our next stop was Hervey Bay, after playing rock paper scissors to find out who was going to do the 12 hour drive. Gary lost. (regrettable partner, zero drinks for you) Tracks pumping and we settled into traveling mode for a good twelve hour journey down the coastline drinking ales as well as enjoying some terrific tunes. We pulled into a Hervey Bay beach front van area which was nice and experienced a good nights sleep for something different. The following day we spent on Fraser Island which was mad. Plenty of sand. We strongly suggest Fraser Getaway if you are looking for just a tour (inside a huge 4WD tour bus). Then we headed to Noosa as well as the Gold Coast during our last week and found a number of awesome beach locations, particularly CoolumBeach.



Such a blast and what a nation, we all liked it that much we've been considering booking another Camperman this period next season for pick up in Melbourne and going to complete the actual west coast up to Broome.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb