The Rock


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
March 16th 2005
Published: March 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Spent the past 3 days on a camping trip in the Northern Territory outback. Although we booked the budget trip, we found ourselves upgraded to the "Safari In Style" luxury version. We daren't let on to our friends on the budget trip that while they were collecting our firewood, we were sipping champagne and watching the sunset.

Had a fantastic time visiting Ayers Rock and the surrounding canyons. Karl refused to believe in "all that aboriginal rubbish" and made me climb the rock with him at 7am. The view from the top was amazing, but the climb/slide back down was very scary. By the time we reached the bottom, 2 hours later, it was 110F and went up to 140F one day. The SIS tour continued to Alice Springs while we hitched a ride back to Yulara with the craziest tour guide in Oz. We had to sing along to his CD's throughout the 4-hour journey, graffiti over the windows and help pick up a campervan that had tipped over en route.

We've also had our first (and last) experience of a dorm. I was the only girl, and after one guy snoring all night, Karl has now decided we can afford any room. Went to a great party in Yulara where all the Aussies were dancing on the tables to some very funny songs.

Saw some more snakes, a camel, a goanna, some dingos and a few squashed kangaroos, but no spiders so far...

We're now in Cairns, which also seems to be another party city as everyone is either celebrating the start or finish of a trip along the east coast.

Tomorrow we start the search for a campervan with a shower, plasma TV, wine cellar and swimming pool (for under 50 quid)!!!

***CONGRATULATIONS NICK & DANA ON THE BIRTH OF BABY NIAMH***


Advertisement



21st March 2005

SIS
Emma, i dont believe you for one second about the "upgrade". I think you booked that one all along!! Glad to hear you are both having a fab time. Cx - Caroline

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb