Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
June 12th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After some delicate manoeuvring we manage to extract ourselves from Paranormal Park and make another short journey to Lake Placid (name rings a bell) 12km north of Cairns. The easiest parking yet, we drove to the site, unhitched on the road and a very nice man on a little tractor backed it into place in 2 minutes flat (Deb very grateful as the food poisoning from the previous night’s prawns was kicking in).
Hey - Brad & Vicky are in Cairns today! So we rang them on the mobile, guess what, they are only at the bottom of the road and with us before Steve can go to the Gents and wash his hands! We spent the rest of the day being shown the highlights of Cairns. Brad takes us past a shopping complex and points to a store that sells rubber, informing us that this little store can produce basically anything you would ever need that was made of rubber!!! We have spent many a waking hour wondering what Brad & Vicky bought there and did we need one, or maybe two (Brad & Vicky, your secret is safe with us, promise!!!). We have a pleasant evening meal and stroll around the Marina. Thanks guys for a great day, good to have company other than grey nomads!!
The rest of the first week we spend visiting a few of the local attractions such as the Barron River Gorge, Mareeba on the Atherton Tablelands where Debby made some new friends, Kuranda, Crystal Cascades, Copperlode Dam, shops for some Debby retail therapy and a great beach with a great name - Yorkey’s Knob (only in Australia!!) and a day in Cairns city centre, which we have to say is nothing like we remember from out last visit, well that was back in 1999!!!!
Week two rolls around and after another couple of lazy days we decide to see some more of Cairns and the surrounding countryside. We visited all the northern beaches, you can park at one and walk along the beach to all the others. The best by far is Palm Cove, 5 star resorts and spas, restaurants, cafes and not to forget the jewellery shops…dream on, back to the caravan!!! We then have a big day out stopping for morning tea at Lake Barrine, formed by a volcanic eruption, then into the wilds to Nerada Tea Plantation (a long drive for not a lot, advice, don’t bother). After lunch we head for the Curtain Fig Tree which was amazing - check out the pic - and we called in at Yungaburra with all it’s historical buildings.
We took another trip into Cairns for the markets and a stroll round. As we walk past the shops Steve decides he fancies a tattoo, or may be some body piercing!? But what to have? We have a list but can’t decide, take a look, what do you lot think? What would suit him best??? (yes, we are waiting for all the remarks)

Our 2 weeks in Cairns comes to an end, where does the time go? We shall move further north to Port Douglas, from where we will visit Cape Tribulation, the Daintree Rainforest, Mossman and the pub (State of Origin 2 on Steve’s birthday).

Moral decision:
Steve has a pic of Debby topless, all the guys want him to post it on the Blog, but should he? Your votes count so let us know…it could be the star picture of Blog 10!!!….



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



12th June 2010
Which would you like

body piercing
penile pearling sounds interesting!!
13th June 2010

What where you doing
What where you doing to the lolly look at the smile on his face?

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb