Cyclone Larry


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
March 19th 2006
Published: March 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Days 126 & 127



Happy Birthday Auntie Yvie!! We checked out to hear that Cairns, our next destination, was about to be hit by a grade 5 (the worst you can get) cyclone. Oh dear! We jumped back on the ferry anyway and caught our bus. Some of the towns on the way up were being evacuated due to the looming cyclone Larry. We arrived in Cairns safe and sound and checked into our hostel. Got chatting to our room mates and prepared to be stuck in the room for days.

Happy Birthday EGG!! The next morning we awoke to battering winds and rain but luckily it calmed down and we were able to go outside in our hunt for some food. The core of the cyclone struck 100 km south and caused devastation to a couple of small towns. Cairns just caught the edge of it so there wasn't too much damage - just fallen branches and some shop signs were ripped off. After lots of walking we found a supermarket that was planning on opening so hung around for the big event and stocked up on some food. Did boring domestic stuff in the afternoon and in the evening had a few drinks and got chatting to a couple of Dutch guys who were pretty cool.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011.6kb