Wet Stuff


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
August 7th 2009
Published: August 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

School Point Camp site 3School Point Camp site 3School Point Camp site 3

Tineroo camp site
DAY 274

We woke up not looking forward to the morning as we knew it was going to be all wet, as the mist from the surrounding mountains were all wet, and the trailer tent would be wet. We can’t complain as we haven’t seen any wet stuff for a very long time, and in some weird way we thought it would do the trailer tent some good to have a rinse off.

I made a cup of tea and put the lid on Caroline’s and wandered off with the laptop and went to sit in the camp kitchen, waiting the arrival of the morning sun, hopefully. Caroline soon joined me and it wasn’t long before we had a couple of slices in the camp toaster waiting patiently for it to pop up.

After our breakfast and a quick cruise around Kangaroo Jacks blog site to see if we had any messages, we were confident that the day would warm the trailer up enough to be able to pack it away, so back we strode to the trailer and made a start.

The sun was getting hotter and the tent was getting dryer, so we went off to get our morning shower and by the time we got back we were ready for a fold.

Within the blink of an eye we were pulling out of this fantastic camp site and heading off to Lake Tineroo. Now here is an unusual story that you need to follow.

Darryl and Sarah (A.K.A Wallaby Wanders) had contacted us on Kangaroojack’s blog site back in 25th January 2009 and told us that they were coming out to Australia, on 28th April 2009 also for a year, and were planning their trip, and used our blog site as pointers for planning their big adventure.

Well throughout our trip we have kept up with the Wallaby Wanders blog site as they also have with us, using the same web site, Travelblog, that we used which was www.travelblog.org Darryl and Sarah’s blog address is www.mytb.org/darryl-&-sarah.

Recently we noticed that our paths were merging and there was a remote chance that we may meet which we thought would be a terrific happening, but due to sporadic mobile phone access had sent Darryl and Sarah a message to say we were heading out of Cairns and toward the Atherton Tablelands, they were in Port Douglas and due to leave today or tomorrow for the Atherton Tablelands.

Our journey to Lake Tineroo was interesting going through the Atherton Tablelands, and soon we saw the turning towards Tineroo Dam, and stopped at the sign board to see that the camp site in this area which is a national park have to be pre-booked on the internet, or over mobile phone.

We spark the laptop up and see that camp sites are available for tonight (Friday) and it would be $5.00 dollars per person.

We have got cute on this now so we always try to look at the camp site to make sure its suitable, before we pay, mainly to make sure are neighbours have not set up there camp to yahoo all night.

We drove all the way through Danbulla National Park, past campsites like Platypus, Downfall Creel Kauri, and School Point, which we picked as our chosen site.

Caroline still had internet connection at the top of the hill, and had booked the site for one night only as Saturday night was completely booked up, we also left Darryl and Sarah a message over Skype to say we were at School Point camp ground just in case they managed to pick the message up then we went back to the trailer and set up.

The area was absolutely stunning, we had campsite 3 and we were on a slight elevation about 100 mtrs from the edge of Lake Tineroo. We watched some guys Jet Skiing on the lake with this awesomely powerful Jet Ski and they were having a great time.

We had a bag of wood with us, as most National Parks do not allow you to collect fire wood as it is a natural habitat for other creatures, so we decided to buy one before we came in to the park. There is nothing better to enhance the camping experience than a campfire and we always seize the opportunity to use our camp oven to rustle up something for a feed.

With dusk not far away we have the campfire going nicely with some good embers to sit the camp oven on. Tonight I was cooking a Pork Vindaloo, as I had got all the ingredients and a Vindaloo curry paste, when Caroline asked what we were having and I told her and she exclaimed “You want me to eat a Pork Vindaloo out in the wilderness.”

There is never a better place to eat a Pork Vindaloo than out in the wilderness. Nobody can hear you scream!!

All the food was prepared and the camp oven was lowered into the fire, and in less than 25 minutes the food was done, I had wrapped the naans in tin foil to get them nice and warm.
We sat down, by now it was pitch black and we ate our evening meal, which was brilliant, by the light of the moon.

We sat for the rest of the evening watching the fire dance in the dark and occasionally added some more wood to keep us warm. The night chills slightly here in the mountains but give it a month and the really warm weather will be back.

I am dog tired tonight, we are go, go, go and there is never a moment to stop, we didn’t even have lunch today.

I jump in to bed and Caroline does a bit of brain training, though I instantly fall asleep.

So until tomorrow bloggers.







Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



9th August 2009

Pork Vindaloo
My mouth is watering just looking at that dinner. It's tough roughing it in the wild isn't it! Have three poddy lambs named Caroline, Andy and Wendy. Poor Andy had sore eyes so I sprayed them with some eye stuff and now he is strutting around with blue around his eyes. Looks like too much eye shadow. Love your camping spot in this blog. Looks very relaxing. Lots of love, Helen

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.065s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb